OFR tonal question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OFR tonal question

Any difference in tone between a black OFR and a chrome or golg OFR?

Not really. Not to my tone deaf ears.
    "The BLUES is the tonic for what ails ya."

Comment

It really shold make no difference.
      The sustain block is the same on all finishes and thats the main thing when it comes to tone and resonance of a Floyd.
      Brass blocks usually give better tone and sustain though
      666 - Soulless to the core - 666
      www.myspace.com/gravespace
      www.grave.se

Comment

I think it is EVH that claims chrome ones sound better.

Comment

Originally posted by Sunbane View Post
          I think it is EVH that claims chrome ones sound better.
          :ROTF: :ROTF: :ROTF:
          Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

A couple old members here have claimed chrome ones sound better as well. Supposedly a black or gold finish robs a little of the tone compared to regular chrome.
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by Bengal65 View Post
              :ROTF: :ROTF: :ROTF:

+1

Comment

IIRC, Warren D also thought the chromes had better tone. Personally, I think this is all BS.

IMHO, this likely started with an urban myth-like goofy misperception that the chrome ones were bare metal, while the black and gold versions had plating. i.e., The black and golds did not sound as "pure" as the bare metal chrome versions, because their added plating negatively affected the tone.

As we all know, they each have plating of some sort - chromes versions, too. But remember, when they first came out way back when, you could only get Floyds in chrome. So, when black and gold options were added later, it was a "change" to the original.

Comment

I have all three... Chrome. Gold and Black.
                  I can't tell the difference.
                  I think a Chrome Floyd holds up better over time from an appearance perspective.
                  -Rick

Comment

^ +1, no difference in sound at all, that's completely ridiculous. The chrome ones might stay in balance just a little bit better because the chrome plating -including on the knife-edges and posts- isn't as thick as the gold or black one, but i've never really compared them on the same (or even similar) guitar.
                    "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]
                    The truth will seem utterly preposterous, and its speaker, a raving lunatic."

Comment

You cant deny that chrome ones are brighter, much more then the black ones.

Who knows if they sound different though

Comment

Working...
                      X