Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Time to save a guitar from part-out... Project 475!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time to save a guitar from part-out... Project 475!!!

Alright... so while crusing eBay one night, as usual, some parts caught my eye. A seller was selling a nice looking 475 neck... and Im a sucker for them. Then I noticed he had a body... trem... and neck plate to go along with it! ARGH, why would someone part out a beautiful 475 Deluxe???

I decided that the neck and body were mine... the body came with a DiMarzio Fred... I ended up winning the body (with the pickup) and the neck for $153 shipped... not a bad deal at all!!

Heres what arrived today:

After tuners and truss cover removed... yuck!

Mmm... grimey!

And body with gunk and stickers...

After a good cleaning, fret polish, board conditioning, the neck was ready to go. After removing the sticker and various gunk, the body came up pretty nice as well! There are some nicks and chips, but nothing too major... and they just add to the mojo!

I didnt buy the sellers neck plate because Ive got a few in my stash...

The body is just beautfully figured... Its by far my favorite body thusfar. Though, in the pictures the burst seems more solid than it really is in person.

So thats where shes at after about an hour of work. Ill be adding EMG 85/SA/SA, all gold hardware including a gold Schaller trem. I think its going to come out great, and best of all, Im saving a truly great guitar from being parted out.

Now dont get me wrong, Ive parted out a few guitars... but never one as nice as a 475. I just couldnt do it... and if I have anything to say about it, it wont happen to this one either! Stay tuned for more updates, as I get money for parts, she will become complete and I think will look GREAT!
    Last edited by RobRR; 04-03-2007, 10:37 PM.
    Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

And a quick generator of what the finished product will look like!

Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

nice one, man. Look forward to seeing the finished result.
      Hail yesterday

Comment

I saw this guys stuff on eBay and thought the same thing! I would have bid on the body and neck too if I didn't have so many projects already started. I'm glad you managed to get both. Looks like it's in good hands. Also glad I didn't get into a bidding war with a fellow JCFer! Good score/save! Also looking foward to the rebirth of the 475!

Comment

Rob, great guitar rehab and great Vetta in the background!
          the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

Very nice score and project!

Are you gonna sand the logo down to match your generator pic with the guitar shaped logo?
            Henrik
            AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

Nah, logo will stay the toothpaste, just no option for it in the generator.

Comment

Originally posted by RobRR View Post
                ARGH, why would someone part out a beautiful 475 Deluxe???
                Simply to maximize the profit. Sad but true©
                Henrik
                AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

I'm looking forward to seeing her reborn!
                  Fwopping, you know you want to!

VI VI VI: the editor of the Beast!

There are 10 kinds of people who understand binary. Those who do and those who don't.

Comment

Originally posted by jackson1 View Post
                    Simply to maximize the profit. Sad but true©
                    I thought about that too, but considering what his parts sold for, he would have made more selling it whole. Figure neck and body for $140, $75 for the trem, and $30 for the neck plate. Thats only about $250... 475's sell for almost double that all day long.
                    Last edited by RobRR; 04-04-2007, 02:42 PM. Reason: `

Comment

Oh and btw, I dont leave my laundry laying around... the sock and boxers are actually work rags I use... once theyve fulfilled their daily duty, they assume rag status.

Comment

wow dude nice score!
                        ----------
                        Gear Action - Washburn Dime 2ST Pro, BC Rich NT Jr. V w/EMG, Dean DFH/CFH, Dean V-Coustic, Jackson USA KV2, Peavey 5150 II, Randall 412CXM, BBE 362 Sonic maximizer, Alesis 3630 noise gate

Comment

One thing Im kinda confused about... the 90-91 catalog shows the guitar speced with a J80BC in the bridge... but theres no way a covered J80 is fitting in there! Its definetly came stock with an uncovered pickup... strange. Kinda sucks, I wouldnt have minded using the J80C Ive got here.

Comment

Not sure about the 475's but my Predator came with a covered J-90c but it's not the older kind that requires an oversized mounting ring. The silkscreened logo. I never looked at Henrik's scanned catalog to research whether the Predator was the only one that came with the smaller covered Jackson pickups, or if there were others during the toothpaste era.

Comment

Ah I didnt know there were non-oversized covered Jacksons... that might explain it then. All the J pickups I have are oversized.

Comment

Working...
                              X