Scale Lengths: 24.75" vs. 25.5"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scale Lengths: 24.75" vs. 25.5"

What exactly is the difference? As I understand it, scale length is derived from measuring from nut to bridge.

Now for my questions. Is the fretboard for a 24.75" or 25.5" scale guitar any different in length? Or is it the same fretboard, simply installed closer to the bridge to create the shortened scale length? The reason this is important is I would like a more compact guitar size, but I don't want smaller fret spacing, particularly at the highest frets. Anyone know? [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Re: Scale Lengths: 24.75" vs. 25.5"

THe length of the fretboard is going to be determined by a combination of the scale length and the number of frets. The total difference in length(measured bridge to nut)will be 3/4 of an inch. If you want a more compact guitar, the only places you will lose overall size is at the headstock and the part of the body behind the bridge. You may want to look into guitars with 3+3 headstocks, or other smallish ones like the Ernie ball style ones. Smaller body shapes (like Dinky or other 7/8 size guitars) might be what you are looking for.

The difference in fret spacing is barely noticeable (at least to me). The most notable difference will be in the feel of the strings-the shorter scale length will let you bend notes more easily, and requires less pressure to actually fret notes, and even this is not a major difference.

Comment

A 24.75" scale neck will have the frets spaced closer together (in order to fit either 22 or 24 frets within the shorter distance). The scale is measured from the nut to the bridge, with the 12th fret 1/2-way between. And, yes, with the closer fret spacing naturally the upper frets get closer together, exactly what you don't want to have! Suggest going to a music store and try playing some shorter scale guitars. Also, FYI, there are 25.0" scale necks out there, specifically PRS (including the affordable Tremonti SE) and Carvin and Yamaha).

Check out this thread for a detailed discussion of scale lengths:
      http://www.jcfonline.com/cgi-bin/ult...c;f=7;t=000908

Comment

Have you considered Steinberger? [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img]

Seriously, if the Jackson Dinky/Soloist body is too big for ya, there's not much else Jackson has, except the Roswell.

Newc
        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

"The scale is measured from the nut to the bridge, with the 12th fret 1/2-way between."

Oh yeah, forgot about that little detail (the 12th fret having to be 1/2 way between the ends). [img]images/icons/blush.gif[/img] Thanks.

I am actually very comfortable with the Soloist body, and 25.5" scale is even fine. I am just being really picky as I try to cover all the bases for ordering my ultimate Jackson Custom Shop guitar, and if the fretboard would be just as roomy and I would only be losing unused guitar body real estate by the neck being placed closer to the bridge, it would be a no-brainer for me to pick a 24.75" scale.

Thanks, everyone.

I do like the idea of getting one of those Steinbergers, though. With an EVH paint job and some EMGs, that would be a cool addition.

Comment

Working...
          X