Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Neck Plate Gaskets- what are they good for?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neck Plate Gaskets- what are they good for?

Putting a neck on a Kelly body i got off EBay. I don't really want to put plastic between the plate and the body for acoustic reasons(tho i probably wouldn't hear a difference) but think that the gasket might save me cracking the finish. Its just a regular finish Kelly bolt-on(KE3?) body.

Should I use a gasket or not??

they protect the finish and don't affect the tone.
    the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

Id use one, the metal plate would dig into the finish pretty good without it.
      Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

Originally posted by RobRR View Post
        Id use one, the metal plate would dig into the finish pretty good without it.
        +1 I use them all the time. Really saves the finish from being "crushed and blistered".
        Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

I don't care all that much about how my guitars look, but I don't mistreat them either. I can't see what practical difference the gasket would make, and I woudn't worry about it.

Comment

One or two layers of electric tape would do fine, if you don't like having the plastic "framing" around the neck plate.
            "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]
            The truth will seem utterly preposterous, and its speaker, a raving lunatic."

Comment

Watch out for the screw length. That gasket could make a difference.
              I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

I was gonna say the same thing but fett beat me to it.
                Gil

Comment

They're especially good when you've just plonked down some cash on a fresh paint job too!

Comment

Thanks for the replies.

I suppose, as long as the back of the neck is tight against the body! and the screws are tight, it should resonate well,

I do have 3 other cheaper guitars around the house with no gaskets, and I have tightened the neck screws and no cracks in the finish so far. However the Charvel neck plate is shaped on the back and contacts the body around the outer edge and around the screw holes and the cheapo's are flat..

Anyhoo, I should be wire up some pickups and stringing, and intonating it tonight and cranking it up. and if everything works out I'll take it apart, in a while, and paint the neck, touch up the body finish, hardware etc. Its a Charvel Fusion neck and hardware on a Kelly body. Yes, i routed out the neck pocket so it would intonate. Also, routed it for a middle pickup and a mid boost control.(EMG89, sa,sa)

Comment

Working...
                    X