G-string.........AGAIN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G-string.........AGAIN

2months ago i posted a thread about the f¤%&/(ing ass-sounding g-string my guitar has. It sounds like metal to metal rattling or something. But its not fret buzz. sounds like its coming from the saddles. And ONLY from the g-string

Today I noticed that that fucking noice disapeared when the low e snapped (g-string tuned up to A or G#)

WHY?! Why is the noice only heard when tuned to G or lower?! something to do with the string gauge? [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img]

Re: G-string.........AGAIN

Please help!

Comment

hey.

i had the same problem with the g string making a annoying rattle. same as you.

i had a thicker string gauge,

i switched to a smaller one for the g string and the sound disapeared.

i put a 11 on and it used to be a 13 i think.

right now its zack wlydes heavy strings for the power chords. Start with 60, 56, X <-- forgot and

16 11 9

Comment

If you use a Floyd, the answer is obvious. The G string saddle has worn down on the front edge, so the string isn't making good contact. It's like a false edge on a nut. You get that weird screeching harmonic overtone. Readjust your bridge so it either tilts forward or backwards a bit more and the problem should clear up.

Now, if your guitar is ToM equipped... I have no clue. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

BM could be right, but if that fails just replace the nut, neck, tuners, bridge, bridge posts, springs and claw, and even the rear spring cavity cover, and see if the noise goes away. In my old age I've learned not to spend too much time on diagnostics....just start replacing parts until the problem disappears!! [img]graemlins/band.gif[/img]
          My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Originally posted by mm2002:
            BM could be right, but if that fails just replace the nut, neck, tuners, bridge, bridge posts, springs and claw, and even the rear spring cavity cover, and see if the noise goes away. In my old age I've learned not to spend too much time on diagnostics....just start replacing parts until the problem disappears!! [img]graemlins/band.gif[/img]
            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">[img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]
            Maybe I'll just skip getting old and commit suicide at age 35 or something. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Maybe a burr on the bridge saddle? remove the string and run a q-tip over the saddle. If a bunch of the cotton sticks to it, there is a sharp edge in there. You or a qualified tech could run a needel file over it to smooth it out. Also, if you have a FLoyd, make sure when you cut the ball end off, you cut the whole twisted part off. The wrapping around the bottom of the string could be causing problems. Or, you could replace the saddle (takes 5 minutes, costs 15 bucks or so).

Comment

Yes, its a floyd. That japanese jackson-floyd that starts with t-something.

Is there a special saddle for this floyd or are they all the same?

Thank you all very much! [img]graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]

Comment

JT-500 or JT-580? If so, your local Jackson dealer should be able to order one for you, or check some of the online dealers or even ebay.

Comment

it only says takeuchi
                    and there's a jackson logo just over the 6th string
                    Wish I had a local jackson dealer [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Comment

Tip: pull of the offending saddle make note of the number stamped on the bottom it is important to get a replacement saddle of the same hieght.I would use 1500 grit sand paper to smooth out any burrs if that is the problem.
                      Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

QUOTE] [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]
                        Maybe I'll just skip getting old and commit suicide at age 35 or something. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [/QB]

Yes!!! Trust me, it'll be the easiest way!
                        [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                        My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Working...
                        X