Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to repair strap button wood damage... how the hell do I explain it...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to repair strap button wood damage... how the hell do I explain it...

Alright, here's one for you repair experts. The upper cutaway horn on my brother's P-Bass doesn't hold the strap button very tightly any more. I suspect the cheap wood is being worn away or something. He does not risk playing the bass standing up any more for fear of the bass crashing to the floor when the upper horn wood (hahahahaha) gives way.

We know NOTHING about wood repair. So, suggest a simple permanent remedy we can do to make the strap button stay properly in place. Thanks!

Re: How to repair strap button wood damage... how the hell do I explain it...

The standard fix for any worn wood screw hole: glue a few toothpicks in the hole and cut flush - the screw should fit much tighter. You could also glue in a small wooden dowel and re-drill the hole for the screw.

Comment

i use wooden matches and wood glue. easy fix.
      Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
      Sully Guitars on Facebook
      Sully Guitars on Google+
      Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

I use dowels: cheap, easy, last a long time.

Keith
        The JCF-er Formerly Known as axtogrind.

myspace.com/boogieblockmusic

Comment

I don't trust wood glue. Super glue is the only way to go. [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

PS: I'm hoping to start an 'alder vs poplar' style debate over wood glue vs super glue, completely with name calling and bannings. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by Black Mariah:
            I don't trust wood glue. Super glue is the only way to go. [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

PS: I'm hoping to start an 'alder vs poplar' style debate over wood glue vs super glue, completely with name calling and bannings. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I almost thought you were serious for a second. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
            Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

He just might be... [img]graemlins/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
              "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

I've done this repair before with just Elmer's glue and toothpicks. It works fine.
                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

drill the hole out with a bit just slightly larger than it's current size. I would drill it about 2 inches deep. take a 2 1/2" piece of dowel (they cost like fifty cents at home depot) of the same diameter and, this is very important, sand one side down flat jst a little bit. spread glue (wood, super, epoxy, etc.) all over the sides of the dowel and press it into the hole. you may need to tap it in with a mallet. wipe off the glue that oozes out where you sanded the dowel flat, let it dry, cut it flush, and redrill it for the strap button screw.

Comment

Originally posted by etaeniura:
                    slightly larger than it's current size.
                    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">its

[img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/fart.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/evilimages/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
                    "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

notice the postingtime-3:30 in the AM! cut me a little slack here....gee whiz.

Comment

Originally posted by Black Mariah:

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">well, if it helps that along, i use only wooden matches that i've tapped for tone; i've found that mahogany matches will add a bit of depth to the tone, depending on the glue you use, and what strap pin you're replacing. you'll want mahogany in the butt end, (we all know that's where your low end tone comes from) but if your guitar is too bright, you CAN use mahogany in the top strap hole, as that's where your top end/bright tone comes from.

your average white glue will be too soft, and won't bond on a molecular level with the match, so if you use that, you'll instantly kill your tone, and in some cases, send yourself back in time. i've found that super glue works better than krazy glue, as the krazy glue is too unstable, hence its name. a good wood glue or super glue (not krazy) is the way to go. this is nothing to be trifled with, my friends... a wrong mix of glue and dowel, match, or toothpick could actually prove fatal. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

sully

[ January 25, 2004, 08:38 AM: Message edited by: jsullysix ]
                        Sully Guitars on Google+
                        Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Sully, I'm glad you included that last part, because if you don't know what you're doing, you can kill yourself*.

Keith

* When is that NOT the case? Ever?
                          The JCF-er Formerly Known as axtogrind.

myspace.com/boogieblockmusic

Comment

saftey first, muthafucka.
                            Sully Guitars on Google+
                            Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Now I wanna sniff some glue. [img]graemlins/fart.gif[/img]
                              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
                              X