coil tap option

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• coil tap option

I've been offered the option to have coil tap(s) in my Kelly, in order to switch to Single coil mode (saves me buying a whole new guitar). But there are at least two versions: (1) push/pull knob on the volume, or (2) dedicated mini-switch (which involves drilling a hole). Which would you choose and why?
    Last edited by wilkinsi; 03-31-2007, 12:41 PM.
    Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

push-pull knob. doesn't de-value the guitar as drilling a new hole does.

Comment

Originally posted by Nazgul View Post
      +1 Also set it up so the mode you'd use most of the time is in the down position, ie if you want normal humbucker mode most of time, have that as the down position. If you want it coil tapped to single mode, then have that be the down position.

Comment

Do 5-way toggle switches exist? I was thinking of having both humbuckers coil tapped. Otherwise, I'll only be doing the neck humbucker.
        Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

The push/pull switch should have six tabs, 2 top, 2 middle, 2 bottom. The left side is independent from the right side. Hook the neck hum to one side, the bridge hum to the other side.

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support..._1v_3w_pp.html

Comment

You can wire a standard 5-way switch to be hum-tap-both-tap-hum. I've never done it, but I know you can.
            Scott

Comment

Originally posted by Nazgul View Post
              +1 to that.
              Plus you have more real estate, (uncluttered room) which I prefer.
              I don't like my guitars cluttery with a bunch of knobs and switches, they get in the way and to me look very tacky.
              Peace, Love and Happieness and all that stuff...

"Anyone who tries to fling crap my way better have a really good crap flinger."

I personally do not care how it was built as long as it is a good playing/sounding instrument.

Yes, there's a bee in the pudding.

Comment

When I had a Les Paul, I had push pull pots put in both tones and they are very easy to use on the fly and do offer some nice variety in tones.

However, with a mini toggle you can get Series, Parrallel and Single coil.

Comment

he wants to do this to a kelly, they have gibson toggle switches, the 5 way selectors aren't an option.
                  "slappy, slappy" bill sings, happily, as he dick slaps random people on the streets of Cleveland.

Comment

Push / Pull Pot is the best for not wanting to alter the guitars wood.
                    www.myspace.com/demonboundmusic

Originally posted by Endrik
                    the more you masturbate the less you need to bang the hottest chicks

Comment

Originally posted by kelly user View Post
                      he wants to do this to a kelly, they have gibson toggle switches, the 5 way selectors aren't an option.

well excuuuuuuuuse me!
                      Scott

Comment

Originally posted by kelly user View Post
                        Except on my Kelly

Comment

Or you could have it series/parallel..... the coils in parallel will give you the same kind of "single coil" sound, but with the added benefit of hum-canceling. The only thing is that you need all 6 pins on a push-pull knob or switch for each pickup, so you can't hook both pickups to the same push-pull or switch.
                          "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]
                          The truth will seem utterly preposterous, and its speaker, a raving lunatic."

Comment

Originally posted by Vlover View Post
                            Except on my Kelly
                            Sorry, not making that out too well. Got a lighter pic?
                            Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

Comment

Originally posted by delt View Post
                              Or you could have it series/parallel..... the coils in parallel will give you the same kind of "single coil" sound, but with the added benefit of hum-canceling. The only thing is that you need all 6 pins on a push-pull knob or switch for each pickup, so you can't hook both pickups to the same push-pull or switch.
                              Thats alot more work than the typical coil tap. But the hum cancelling is worth it

Comment

Working...
                              X