Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bland tone - wrong tone pot?

Guys,

I just finished installing a new set of Dimarzio pickups in a Model 3A, including a new volume (500K) and tone (250K) pot, and fresh wiring. The pickups are a Tone Zone (bridge) and Air Norton (neck).

Frankly, I'm a bit underwhelmed by the overall tone - just not enough balls, and generally bland tone - I was expecting more.

Would the overall tone improve with a 500K pot? I used a 250K value because I had my SL2H opened up not longer and that's how it was configured.
    "You are so stupid that I am surprised you have not collapsed into a singularity of stupidity." - Anon

Re: Bland tone - wrong tone pot?

Ninja,

The 500K pot did the trick. The tone is just what I was after - damn close to my no-longer-owned Ernie Ball Axis. Thanks...
    "You are so stupid that I am surprised you have not collapsed into a singularity of stupidity." - Anon

Comment

Get rid of that 250K tone pot, it should be a 500K just like the volume.

You might wanna try wiring the guitar up without the tone knob just to see if you like the pickups. In other words, just the pickups, a switch, and a volume pot. If you like what you hear, add the 500K tone pot.

The pickups also may not be what you're looking for. From what I understand the Tone Zone is a bit of a bass heavy pickup, which may not suit you well if you're playing down-tuned death metal and/or similar. But you're definitely gonna wanna get rid of that 250K pot.

Comment

Thanks Ninja - I'll go ahead and swap out the 250K with the 500K this afternoon and post a response with my finding.

Comment

Glad to help. Congrates on the newly killer sounding axe.

Comment

Working...
          X