Kahler Removal On Neck-thru

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kahler Removal On Neck-thru

I bought a Model 5 on ebay at a good price. I was told it had a Floyd style bridge. When he was giving the guitar a cleaning before shipping he noticed it had Kahler stamped on the tremolo. He has given a chance to back out, or we could negotiate on a new price. I really don’t want a Kahler and since this is a neck-thru I don’t know if I want to attempt to change it over to a Floyd.
    Any ideas guys?
    Just one more guitar!

Re: Kahler Removal On Neck-thru

That is the guitar alright, and I beleive Mountain dog is right about what came on them. Doesnt look to be a JT6. I will shoot the guy an email and see what he says.
    If it is a Kahler Pro what should I do? How much work would it be to put a Floyd or do I even want to mess with it?
    Just one more guitar!

Comment

When I first casually saw this thread, I was worried you were referring to the Model 5 I just sold:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ESSO%3AIT&rd=1

Thankfully, I wouldn't label a Kahler as a Floyd.

2loud called it right. You would have to remove an extensive amount of wood from the body to create a cavity for the tremolo block and springs in order to install a Floyd. Not worth it, in my opinion.

Comment

Scotty, If you don't like the Kahlers and you have the opportunity to pass on it from the seller, I'd take him up on that. For the price you paid, you should be able to find another 2-hum Model 5 with the JT-6 Floyd.

The Kahler trem is really a love/hate topic on the forum. I personally like them a lot and prefer them, but I also have lots of guitars with the floyds too. I figure if the Kahler was good enough for Steve Lynch (who I bought this from) of the band Autograph/Two Hand Tapping fame (1985) its good enough for me!

If he gave you a killer deal on it for the Kahler (like $100 to $150 less to make it attractive) you might want to think about it a little.

Comment

Yeah, that definately looks like a Kahler Cam in the auction pic (I was not aware that was the actual guitar). If that guitar was a factory Kahler model, you will need extensive routing done to convert it to Floyd. This is how it will look when it is installed.

Comment

That depends on what kind of Kahler it is.

Ask the seller if the Kahler pivots on floyd style posts, and if there's a trem cavity in the back. If there is, then you are fine, you can swap it out with an OFR "43mm block", or a JT6.

If the trem is fixed solidly into the top of the guitar, with no trem route in back, then the only way to use an OFR would be to fill in the trem route on top, re-rout for floyd, rout trem cavity in back and refinish.

Obviously not a good idea.

Post a pic.

Comment

Was it this one?:

The auction for this guitar said floyd and neck thru, but this does look like the Kahler Pro Cam trem on this guitar. I don't think the Model 5's came with the cheaper 2 pivot Kahlers like some Model 2's did. I'm pretty sure the Model 5's came with either the Pro Cam Kahler or the JT-6 floyd.

Anyway, 2Loud2Old is correct, have the seller look at the back of the guitar, if there's no trem route it's the Kahler Pro Cam style and you would NOT want to attempt the swap to floyd.

Comment

Actually, if it is a Kahler "Traditional" fulcrum tremolo (as sometimes seen on early import Charvels), the guitar will need to be modified a little to fit a Floyd or JT6. They were made to fit in a Strat route, so the studs are closer together and the slot in the top of the guitar is shorter. You need to remove the body bushings, plug the wholes, add the new studs, then open the slot up to accomodate the tremolo arm holder.

Comment

Working...
                X