No announcement yet.

Stainless steel refret. Whom to choose?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stainless steel refret. Whom to choose?

Any recommendations on shops experienced with installing stainless frets?

Re: Stainless steel refret. Whom to choose?

any shop that is really good at regular fret jobs should do fine.
    Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Check out Easton Guitars. Kevin is badass when it comes to repairs plus he doesn't charge an assload.

Comment

Warning! Make sure Kevin does the refret himself.

Comment

How much does this cost? The guy at Third Coast Guitar Services told me it would be $500. That sounds insane!

Comment

Originally posted by RockBrigadePC1:
            How much does this cost? The guy at Third Coast Guitar Services told me it would be $500. That sounds insane!
            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Click the link at the top of the page. Should be bench prices somewhere on his site. Kevin is an awesome guy to deal with and I hear HIS work is top notch !

Comment

Originally posted by shape shift:
              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">AFAIK Kevin does ALL of the work himself. If for some reason he doesn't he's not going to get some random spareass to do it. You send it to him and it will be done right, no matter who handles it.

Comment

Originally posted by shape shift:
                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">yeah, i'd like some clarification on that one...
                Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                Sully Guitars on Facebook
                Sully Guitars on Google+
                Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

I had Eastonguitars do a refret on my KV2 when I bought it a month back, and Kevin DID NOT do it acccording to himself.
                  I wrote about this when I posted pictures of the guitar, and the refret was totally crappy to say the least.
                  I had to take it to a repair man here in Norway and round off ALL the frets and re-glue some and more...
                  Kevin handeled it well and payed for the repair, and apparently fired the guy who did the refret.

So "You send it to him and it will be done right, no matter who handles it" doesn't apply all the time, but something tells me it will from now on. At least I hope he won't hire any more spareasses.

I ordered the guitar from him because I was under the impression that he did all the technician-work himself, which he doesn't.
                  But I trust the guy, and will probably buy an SL2H from him soon.

Comment

well, i do know that kev had hired someone recently, that really sucks. the thing that struck me odd was that i read your post yesterday, but saturday i was at kevin's place, and we were doing what? a refret! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] i'd like to issue a disclaimer that i've never done work for easton guitars in any capacity whatsoever!

anyway, as far as stainless steel refrets, i think the issue/cost increase is b/c stainless wire may be hard to get, they'll go through files like a mother, and they're just harder to dress. shouldn't cost that much more though...

sully
                    Sully Guitars on Google+
                    Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

OK Sully, you're in the clear. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

it was funny when i read that, b/c i had just woken up and read your post... i started lookin over my shoulder for cameras!

sully
                        Sully Guitars on Google+
                        Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Working...
                        X