Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tips to Get Neck and Pocket equal tips PLEASE(pics)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tips to Get Neck and Pocket equal tips PLEASE(pics)

I've just picked up a Mighty Mite Strat body and a no brand maple neck to go on it. The neck is reall square at the end compared to the neck pocket. Any of you got some good tips to match them up. The next seems a bit tight to fit the pocket too.

www.myspace.com/historyofheavymetal

The truth? That's a telecaster-shaped heel and it ain't fitting in there (whatever you do, do not try reshaping that heel unless you've done it before). Solution? Sell it on ebay and buy a neck with a rounded strat heel...but not before you reem out the guy that sold it to you!

That neck would be good for an early 70's super tele project (the ones with the strat heads), but not much else.

Have you inquired as to whether you can return/exchange it? Was it from a guy in Hong Kong on ebay? I know someone else that had the same problem with one of his necks, thus why I ask...
    Crime doesn't pay. Neither does lutherie...

Comment

That makes things even worse for me in a way. I ordered the neck on Saturday from an online shop for another project and then on Sunday found this body and a Tele body with the same finish. I really wanted the Tele body but thought the neck would look strange so bidded on, and won the Strat body .
      May try that neck on this old 3dr body I have and get a Mighty Mite neck for this body then.
      Thanks for the advice.

Comment

I'd definitely reshape it, but you have to make sure it won't maess with your intonation. If you've got the proper tools and the skillz, it's not really that big of a deal.
        Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

I got a strathead neck, that had a tele heel face on it, and had little problem reshaping the heel to accomodate the pocket, and had zero intonation problems. One important thing I did was use another neck, with the proper heel face, to create a template, and transfered that onto the heel in question. I took my time, checked and re-checked all my work. Hardest part for me seemed to be getting the area shaped that is right underneath the overhang. Other than that, all went well.
          Last edited by Racerx2k; 03-29-2007, 07:08 PM.
          I'm not Ron!

Comment

To bad you are in England, I would like to try that on a tele for something different. I have a few teles and just got a reversed tele neck which kicks a$$, having one with a strat head would be cool as well. Was the company you got it from in the UK or the states?

Comment

Originally posted by Jackson-Charvel View Post
              To bad you are in England, I would like to try that on a tele for something different. I have a few teles and just got a reversed tele neck which kicks a$$, having one with a strat head would be cool as well. Was the company you got it from in the UK or the states?
              It's a UK company and I got it for not a bad price. May just have to get a Tele body now

Comment

stripe the cavity with blue painters tape, tape across the open side to make a closed pocket, buy a small bag of "Dependable" skim coat, mix semi-thick (runny but not soupy) and pour into a 1 qt ziplock bag, cut corner off baggie and squeeze into recess till level, insert a popsicle stick or any similar object to serve as a handle, wait a couple of hours and you have a mold of the cavity albeit slightly (thickness of the tape) undersized to use as a template for shaping the neck. Dial calipers should get you the rest of the way. Take your time when you get close, can always keep sanding. Can't glue the dust back on.
                "tie two birds together and though they have four wings, they cannot fly"

Comment

Originally posted by MadJack View Post
                  stripe the cavity with blue painters tape, tape across the open side to make a closed pocket, buy a small bag of "Dependable" skim coat, mix semi-thick (runny but not soupy) and pour into a 1 qt ziplock bag, cut corner off baggie and squeeze into recess till level, insert a popsicle stick or any similar object to serve as a handle, wait a couple of hours and you have a mold of the cavity albeit slightly (thickness of the tape) undersized to use as a template for shaping the neck. Dial calipers should get you the rest of the way. Take your time when you get close, can always keep sanding. Can't glue the dust back on.
                  How's making a mold of a neck pocket that needs to be altered going to help?
                  Am I missing something?

Wouldn;t it be eaiser to just use the neck heel as your template?

Comment

Mold to reshape the neck in leiu of altering the pocket.
                    "tie two birds together and though they have four wings, they cannot fly"

Comment

Originally posted by MadJack View Post
                      Mold to reshape the neck in leiu of altering the pocket.
                      Ahh .. got it.

In that case, couldn't you just lay wide masking tape accross the neck pocket, and shadow the silouette with a pencil and use that?

Comment

Thanks for the advice guys, someone has offered to take the neck off my hands so I can get one that fits now

Comment

Working...
                        X