Wood finishing question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wood finishing question

I've just recently bought a san dimas style unfinished guitar body of ebay, which I have to say is amazing.

I want to the keep the look totally natural but obviously I need to do something to it. Can anyone tell me the best thing to do? Natural wood oil? Varnish!?

Thanks in advance.

Ebay link if it is helpful: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...MEWN:IT&ih=015

tim

Well, it's alder, so you don't need to grain fill it (a bonus). Depends what kind of result you want - natural (use oil, such as Watco Danish or boiled linseed - doesn't really protect it from wear/sweat/etc) or covered (nitro lacquer is easy to work with, but yellows and chips easily - Deft does not yellow and is inexpensive).

Regardless, I recommend looking at the Guitar ReRanch chat board (http://www.reranch.com/reranch/index...cb6d5417981d2f) and search the threads for ideas...
    Crime doesn't pay. Neither does lutherie...

Comment

Your other option is to take it to an auto body shop and have them just hit it with clear coat. They'll use a 2 part poly that is bullet proof (not literally). If you want to color it, they can either use a transparant colored poly that will show the grain, but will make it colored. Or you can use a dye to stain it. The dyes are pretty easy to get from either leather work places or woodcraft or such.

Comment

Your other option is to take it to an auto body shop and have them just hit it with clear coat.
        Best option imo. Unless you have all the gear to do it yourself, or if you know someone who does.
        "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]
        The truth will seem utterly preposterous, and its speaker, a raving lunatic."

Comment

Working...
        X