Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Techies, I Need Help Identifying a Part.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Techies, I Need Help Identifying a Part.

My Heil Talk Box recently went out. At first I thought it was the driver but upon further inspection the driver is okay. I discovered the part that went bad but I don't know what it is called. I would assume that it is some kind of High Pass Filter.

The part reads something like, K1 15uM 63V

This part was between the on/off switch and the positive wire on the driver. Any body know what it is or does?

Damn, I love this Interweb.

Electrolytic Capacitor (polarized so it has the + and -)
    15u = 15 micro farads
    M = tolerance +/- 20%
    63V = voltage rating

Here's one exactly matching your needs:
    http://www.newark.com/jsp/Passives/A...sp?sku=95C1179

Comment

Thanks MountainDog! I knew somebody on this forum could help me. I tried calling their Tech Support and they helped me out some. They recommended a 15uF electrolytic capacitor rated at 50v.

I'm gonna head over to Radio Shack and see if they have a replacement, if not l'll order it from your link. Thanks a bunch.

Comment

Always be careful with capacitors. That one is pretty small & low-voltage, but it's good to learn what to look for & how to safely discharge them when necessary before you poke around in unfamiliar territory with electronics.

Comment

Ahh, I was going to say it was a capacitor, but that M threw me off.
          Scott

Comment

The M threw me off too, but fortunately a buddy at work used to work for an RCA TV plant and told me about tolerance markings:

Tolerance Code:
            A single letter is often used to indicate the tolerance of the component. These can be translated using the following table:
            Tolerance CodeTolerance
            C ± 0.25pF
            D ± 0.5pF
            F ± 1%
            G ± 2%
            J ± 5%
            K ± 10%
            M ± 20%
            Z - 20% +80%

Comment

^ yeah, was also wondering what that "M" stands for. Thanks for the info =)
              "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]
              The truth will seem utterly preposterous, and its speaker, a raving lunatic."

Comment

Well I went out to Radio Shack and they didn't have the 15uF 50V Capacitor, so it looks like will order it from that Newark site.

Note to everyone. If you need a 15uF 50V capacitor don't assume that the 10uF 50V capacitor will work just as well. It will make your talkbox look like you stuck a smoke bomb in it, giving you a massive headache from all the fumes you'll directly inhale from the tube as your rocking out.

Comment

Don't know why I didn't think of it before, but upon hearing of your plight, I checked at work to see if we had anything. Ask their Tech Support if a 15uF 100V NP (non-polarized) +/- 5% tolerance capacitor (pictured below) will work. The engineers here says a 100V would be more robust than the original 63V, and the 5% tolerance vs. original's 20% means a better quality part.

If it will, PM me your address and I can mail you a couple.

Comment

Dude,

That is awesome! Will Do.

Comment

Working...
                    X