Jt-6 won't fit...ARRGGGHH!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jt-6 won't fit...ARRGGGHH!

Ok, I have a fusion special witht he single locking schaller trem. I bought a JT-6 off another board member to use on a project guitar, but decided I may as well put the JT-6 on the fusion, and the crappy single locking on the project. The problem is that the front edge of the trem block does not fit down into the recessed trem route of the fusion-it is maybe a millimeter or two too big. Should I take the dremel to the edge of the JT-6, or to the body of the guitar? Any advice? thanks!

Re: Jt-6 won\'t fit...ARRGGGHH!

That's because the block on the JT6 is longer for a non-recessed body. Recessed Floyds use a shorter block. You can get different size replacement blocks for Floyds, but I'm not sure if you can for the JT6 offhand, though.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Ok, I guess I wasn't descriptive enough. I mean at the front of the Floyd route, where the posts are, the front edge of the bridge plate (on the outside of the posts) does not fit down into the recessed route.

Comment

It doesn't fit for 2 reasons.

The JT6 is larger than the schaller. It wasn't designed for recessed trem routes. You'd have to cut into the body to make it fit, I wouldn't do it. It also has a thicker baseplate which doesn't help.

Second problem you will have, the JT6 as Toejam so correctly pointed out has a block that will sit too deep into the guitar, even if you did manage to fit it into the route.

Bottom line, it'll take a hack job to use the JT6 with your Fusion.

I would suggest a trem designed for a recessed route, like a double locking schaller.

Comment

Well, I can still use the single locking trem, but I'm thinking of just finding the locking saddles for it. New schaller trems cost more than I paid for the guitar, so that isn't really an option. I'll keep looking on the bay...

Comment

I've done exactly what you're trying on a project guitar I posted here awhile back. It was a predator body and I retrofitted the JT6 in it. I trimmed the front of the trem baseplate to fit into the cavity, then I cut the block down about 3/8" and redrilled the spring holes. Works great!
            Here's a pic:
            My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

What did you use to cut the block? I don't have any expensive shop tools, just standard power tools-I don't think my circular saw will work, nor do I want to find out for sure! Since I am completely refinishing the "project guitar", I may convert it to a fixed bridge. Stew mac has some nice ones. This is really an "experiment guitar" body, since it is kind of hacked up. My intent is to make it some sort of superhero graphic, probably Green Lantern. I'm looking around for Green spray laquer, so if anyone knows where to find it, please let me know. Stew mac only has black and clear right now.

Comment

easy solution:

swap the blocks; i've done it a few times when necessary.

sully
                Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                Sully Guitars on Facebook
                Sully Guitars on Google+
                Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

But the front edge of the baseplate will still not fit into the recess.

Newc
                  I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Allparts sells the short block also. They work great.
                    Just one more guitar!

Comment

Originally posted by Newc:

Newc
                      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">heh...that's what i get for only reading parts of a thread.

sully
                      Sully Guitars on Google+
                      Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Originally posted by Newc:

Newc
                        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">heh...that's what i get for only reading parts of a thread.

sully
                        Sully Guitars on Google+
                        Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

A regular short Floyd block will fit? I wasn't sure if the spacing for the bolts was the same.

Comment

it SHOULD.... and really, there's no sense in not tryin, ya know?

sully
                            Sully Guitars on Google+
                            Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Hey bro. I will take the JT-6 back if you cant get it to work and refund your money. Let me know.

Comment

Working...
                              X