Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mobile recording

hey fellas,

I've been reading up on mobile recording possibilites, and I'm wondering if any of you with POD XT's have tried digitally recording through the USB port??

I am considering getting a laptop computer so I can record stuff when I move to Australia, and so now I'm in the process of previewing possible ways of going about it. My rule of thumb philosophy is simple, "the less gadgetry the better". I have read that USB is no good for recording, but I would only be doing single guitar tracks (one at a time) so it must be good for something???

Anyway I am thinking of a setup like this:
    Guitar -> POD XT (usb) -> PC laptop.
    If this is feasible, I would be very interested in going for it!
    Otherwise, I'd have to get a M-Audio MobilePre USB preamp + a M-Audio audiophile USB soundcard, which would not only make things a good bit more expensive, but I also fear that the USB power drain would be rather severe on the poor laptop battery... [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

Any input on these issues would be much appreciated!

Maybe I should just forget about the whole idea, as I will probably have some access to Griffith University's recent-built $10 Million multimedia complex during "non-teaching hours"...doh [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

- Rune.

Re: mobile recording

I'd be more worried about the POD itself not sounding like crap than the interface. There's nothing wrong with USB as a recording interface.

Instead of the M-Audio gear, a Digidesign MBox would be the best choice. It's a USB based Pro Tools setup and as long as you have the computer horsepower to run it, it's going to be the best way to go.

Comment

care to elaborate on "POD sounding crap" ??
      I liked my POD 2.0, why should I have to worry about the XT?
      Or do you mean to say it won't perform well using the USB interface?
      I'll check out the Digidesign Mbox meanwhile.

- Rune.

Comment

Most of the recordings I've heard done with POD straight into computer were kind of flat, but that could be the tone settings more than the POD. Still the whole point is that USB is a perfectly fine interface, and USB2 is even better.

Comment

The secret to getting a good direct-to-PC tone is not in the outboard gear or the price of the software, it's how good of an engineer you are.
          Instead of spending thousands (or even multi-hundreds) on a high-priced/name-brand/Artist-endorsed ProTools system (which has far more tracks than you will realistically ever use), get CoolEdit (not Pro) and the Studio plugins (EQ, effects, etc). Pro costs more than the standard version, but the standard version has built-in MP3 exporting whereas Pro doesn't (dumb idea there).

If you can set an amp's EQ, you can set a "generic" software EQ and get just as good a sound.

Maybe if B.M. had heard those recordings through a decent set of speakers... [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Newc
          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Uhhh.. Newc, Cooledit ain't cooledit no more... [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

K
            The JCF-er Formerly Known as axtogrind.

myspace.com/boogieblockmusic

Comment

Well that certainly sucks ass [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Newc
              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

The Pro version still exists, Newc, it's just that Adobe bought it and renamed it Audition. But they DID get rid of Cool Edit 2000; Cool Edit Pro is the only version.

Comment

Working...
                X