Bad pivot insert in dxmg

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad pivot insert in dxmg

I pulled the floyd from whats left of my dk2 and put it on my dxmg.The dxmg was blocked because it would not stay in tune.Well it did not work until I switched the post inserts. The threaded portion of the post insert from the dxmg was drilled and tapped well off center. As it was installed in the guitar the post would be closer to the center line of the guitar. I think this would be real hard to spot at Q.C. and may have caused the premature wear on the knife edge. What do you think?

Re: Bad pivot insert in dxmg

I can assure you that something like that is impossible to spot at QC time. I did QC at Jackson for a while and saw MANY DXMGs and never noticed something like that. It could very well be what caused the premature wear. If the post is off-center and it's not resting in the middle of the knife edge where it needs to be, it's putting uneven pressure on the edge and it could easily wear it out too fast.

Comment

Really? [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] I would have assumed they had a jig or at least two screws with a measurement point at the end they srewed into the bushings to get an exact measurement. Doesn't seem like rocket science, but then again, there probably isn't much call for it I guess. I imagine they're usualy drilled right 99% of the time at least. But still, a cheap process standard tool can be invaluable in any kind of production/assembly line type business.

Comment

It's weird, but things like this do occur. Since the misalignment is not usually off by a lot, it doesn't get caught until it becomes a problem. I remember an RX10 with JT500 that came back under warranty because the bass side trem stud was too far back and the intonation couldn't be set up right. Even on USA's, it's possible. There was a KV2 with a similar issue. Maybe the jig slipped or something. Who knows? When you get a new guitar like that, pack it up and send it back! That's what warranties are for. [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Hey, someone explain me those pivots, post insert and QC.

I'm not pretty much into English guitar vocabulary, so enlighten me, please. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

If you have any extra time [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Thanks a lot!

Comment

Immortal, I'd splain it to ya but you wouldn't understand so fuck it.
            My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

> If you want,I can make a set of new post inserts in machine shop class,all I need is the correct diameter/thread pitch,as I would have to dismantle my Model 5 to get the specs. My guess is that the diameter and pitch are metric,seeing as how the allen wrenches are all metric. These might be a ***** to install,but I assure you will be a better quality material than stock. The knife edge that is worn can probably be repaired with a good set of needle files and some manual dexterity. Tommy D.
              "I'm going to try and work it out so at the end it's a pure guts race......because if it is.....I'm the only one that can win" - Steve Prefontaine

Comment

I guess MM didn't have any extra time! [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
                "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

What are you, mm? A xhenophobe or a selfish jerk which has superior knowledge about everything but when it comes to his problems everyone should help him? Have you never been curious? Right, your intellect is (as shown) low.

Posrani kurcevi pickin izrodek.

Comment

Working...
                  X