Scalloping a fretboard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scalloping a fretboard

I'm thinking about getting the fretboard on my 650XL scalloped and I have some questions that maybe some of you could answer. First off, could it work with my guitar? I'm wondering about the inlay thickness issue, and the binding and fret markers. If it could work for my guitar, how much would it cost, and how skilled would the luither have to be?? There's a place here in Orlando called "The Guitar Factory" that has a pretty good rep, but I'm sure they don't matchup to a place like GMW. Thanks!

Re: Scalloping a fretboard

I believe JgCable knows how to do this, give him a hollar! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

I wouldn't suggest scalloping a bound neck with sharkfins. Fret markers vary in thickness and sharkfins tend to be a little thin. It is also extremely labor intensive to get the binding to look perfect and it also tends to crack if it is old. If you want a scalloped neck I would suggest doing it to a standard rosewood or maple dot neck with no binding. Most companies make their dots pretty thick. I have scalloped around 100+ necks through the years and this is just my suggestion.

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable:
        I wouldn't suggest scalloping a bound neck with sharkfins. Fret markers vary in thickness and sharkfins tend to be a little thin. It is also extremely labor intensive to get the binding to look perfect and it also tends to crack if it is old. If you want a scalloped neck I would suggest doing it to a standard rosewood or maple dot neck with no binding. Most companies make their dots pretty thick. I have scalloped around 100+ necks through the years and this is just my suggestion.
        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">And it's a very good suggestion at that. I wouldn't try it on a shark inlayed either unless you don't mind making it look "a little odd".

Dave-&gt;
        Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

Alright guys, thanks for the opinions! I'll just wait until I pickup a bolt-on model series guitar, and do it to that. Thanks!

Comment

Good idea John. I have done some fender maple and rosewood necks and I would NOT scallop a bound neck they are just too nice looking the way they are.JG is correct the shark fins tend to be pretty thin.It is very labor intensive job to say the least.I have charged 200.00+ to do it and believe me it aint easy. [img]graemlins/brow.gif[/img]
            Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Working...
            X