Pickup and neck advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickup and neck advice

I just finished putting together my SSH superstrat greenie, made mostly from Warmoth parts. It came out great, although I was hoping more for Dweezil green, and the color came out more like Vai’s greenie, with white pickguard and knobs, chrome recessed original Floyd Rose; the flutter is fantastic. But here’s my problem – I’ve got an Air Norton (S) in the neck, Virtual Vintage Solo in the middle, and Air Zone in the bridge – and I don’t like the sound. I’ve mentioned in the past that my favorite guitar for soloing is my Ibanez S540 with QM pickups; I love the Wizard neck, and even with the stock pickups, I get great clarity and smooth sustain on legato runs using both the neck and bridge pickups. When I was planning my greenie, I was hoping for more of the same, along with a more versatile middle. Well, the sound is a disappointment; it’s a much less focused sound from both bridge and neck pickups, and doesn’t come close to the sustain, articulation, or even output of my Saber.

So am I simply being unrealistic in wanting my light swamp ash-bodied guitar with a gigantic recessed Floyd to sound similar to a mahogany-bodied Lo-Pro trem-equipped Ibanez? Or is there another pickup configuration you could suggest that might get me closer? I’m thinking of maybe trying a Duncan ‘lil 59 in the neck and perhaps a Fred or Mo’ Joe in the bridge? Any thoughts?

I've noticed a number of people on this forum who've said they used to play Ibanez but have switched to Jackson or Charvel. I've never owned a J/C - but as someone who loves flat, thin necks - do you guys have a recommendation of a J/C I might try?

I'd like to see pic's of your guitar...and I really like my Charvel SD's...

Comment

i'd go custum custom in the bridge. and lil 59 in the neck. don't care much for middle pups so no suggestions from me on that one.
      Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Evolutions all the way ! Man, I love those things. All my E and E flat tuned guitars have 'em. D
        I'm not afraid to bleed, but I won't do it for you.

Comment

Working...
        X