High E buzz. . .sort of sitar sound.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High E buzz. . .sort of sitar sound.

Well, I've been eyeing a 2003 Fender Showmaster at my local guitar center.

The thing sounds great and plays really nice.

The deal is soured by 2 things:

1. When you play the open high E string, it doesnt ring out clearly. It kinda buzzes, but . . its doesn't really sound like fret buzz. It sounds kinda like a sitar, kinda goes "pingggggrreeeeeeeeeerrrrrrr" Its not extremely noticible, but. . when you listenclose to the guitar unplugged, you hear it. Whatever it is, its killing sustain.

I know thats a bit vague, but. . .anyone got any leads as to what this could be?

2. The skunk stripe on the back has what appears to be a finish crack right along side the edge of the top and right side of the skunk stripe's edge.

Looks like that if you look at it really close, its broken with a really jagged edge.

It kinda scares me because I am afraid its a red flag that the truss rod might have been abused.

What do you guys think?

Oh yeah, and its $599 on CLEARANCE. (that means it is sold "as is" and the GC 30 day return policy is waved. So. . If I buy it. . its mine, cant return it, end of story.)

I had a bass once that made the same sound when the G string was played open. It bugged me to death. I noticed that if you layed the bass flat on your lap, the sound went away.

I finally figured out that it was the TR that was causing the problem.It was loose enough that it vibrated only when a G was played. Much like when using an E-bow, if a note (let's say low E) is let ring, all strings that are tuned to the same pitch will start to vibrate as well.

I know it's a long shot, but with the damage to the skunk stripe, it's possible the TR was moved enough to make it loose to the point of vibration when a particular note is played.

I would buy something else....
    >>--HuntinDoug-->

Comment

Move along, there's better out there.

Comment

Working...
      X