Guitar makeover advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guitar makeover advice

Hey fellas and felines, here's my latest aquisation, a parts mutt with a Kramer F-6000 neck. I think the body is made by Allparts.
    I got it because I want a guitar I can "mess" with a little without being scared to death if something goes wrong..

Pics (it looks shot to hell, but it plays great!) Sorry about the flash

First thoughts.. I'll probably put an OFR in the guitar. The current one is licenced, and while it stays in tune rather nicely there's just something reassuring about that Floyd Rose logo.. Feels like quality to me

Pickups I believe are Dimarzios, the 2 single-coils are very clean and stratish, so they do the job nicely but I was wondering if I should put in some cooler looking ones.. Maybe some "blade" pickups or whatever those are called, like a Dimarzio Chopper or Fast Track or something, like I said they look cool as hell IMO, but if they sound worse than the ones I have in now there's no point in doing a swap really.

Now to the thing I'm most excited about: I want to add some color to the body, it looks so plain with just wood. Not sure if I should add one color or more, maybe put some kind of motive on it.. I'm a sucker for snakeskin finishes, but I don't think that would look too good on a guitar with a pickguard.. then again, what do i know? Black is out of the question for this one, I want the guitar to be easily recognized if it should get lost at the airport or stolen (as if that'll happen ) BTW, I won't be adding the color myself, I'll get a pro to do it, I want it to look good.
    Oh, and the pickguard looks kinda scratched in that pic, I didn't really notice it earlier.. maybe I should change it?

Any ideas/advise? Bring your opinions
    "This ain't no Arsenio Hall show, destroy something!"

Cool mutt!

It looks like the trem recess is too short too allow an OFR, but I guess that can be solved, or you could just install a Schaller Floyd...?
    https://www.facebook.com/cutupofficial

Comment

Thanks dude, I love the neck, feels solid and fits my hand like a glove..
      I'll have to see about the trem, maybe I won't change it after all, it does stay in tune pretty well! But there's just something about those OFR's.. Since they first made those trems I tend to think they know how to make 'em properly

Comment

I personally wouldn't do a thing to that guitar. It looks very cool, and unique.
        Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Originally posted by zeegler View Post
          I personally wouldn't do a thing to that guitar. It looks very cool, and unique.
          +1
          That's a cool looking axe just as it is
          www.myspace.com/historyofheavymetal

Comment

If it's cut for a shaller trem then get one. Shaller made all the original floyd rose bridges. I just bought and OFR and it's made by shaller.

Comment

I love it the way it is. Leave the body alone and play it to death.
              This electric phase ain't no teenage craze -UFO

Comment

This guitar is so damn 80's Sat down with it earlier today and played some Dokken, King Diamond and John Norum songs.. yeah! Effortless is a word that comes to mind. it really plays itself

Comment

So no one think I should do anything at all to the guitar?
                  To be honest I wasn't expecting people here to give it so good reviews!

Comment

Originally posted by Guitardude86 View Post
                    So no one think I should do anything at all to the guitar?
                    To be honest I wasn't expecting people here to give it so good reviews!
                    I have seen worse mutt guitars

All my guitars are Mutts. I have a black Kelly with parts bought on E-bay.
                    www.myspace.com/demonboundmusic

Originally posted by Endrik
                    the more you masturbate the less you need to bang the hottest chicks

Comment

Nice I love natural finishes!!!!

Comment

Lookie here.. a friend of mine "painted" the guitar with photoshop..
                        Did very roughly and you can see the "paint" covers area it shouldn't
                        But you get a rough idea.. So if some of this looks cool, let me know, if it looks like crap, shout it to my face Obviously a pro paint-job will look better and more shiny than on the pics Just want your opinions folks

Ok, the pink is mostly for laughs Like Paul Gilbert said: "Only the manliest of men play green and pink guitars!" :ROTF:

Comment

Mmm, I still like it how it is better.
                          Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Originally posted by zeegler View Post
                            Mmm, I still like it how it is better.
                            +1
                            This electric phase ain't no teenage craze -UFO

Comment

Working...