why my beloved jacksons are caked in scratches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• why my beloved jacksons are caked in scratches

I thought playing scratches were the quickest form of cosmetic damage, until I cleaned my brand new Kelly with a so-called guitar cloth that I've used for years. It's one of those "3M" blue cloths (cotton?) I bought from my local guitar shop. (You buy a cloth from a guitar shop, you assume it's suitable). What kind of cloth do you lot use? Or could it be I'm wiping the guitar too hard?
    Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

gibson vintage kit, their cloth has the thickness of a foam but is soft like a baby's right butt cheek
    "slappy, slappy" bill sings, happily, as he dick slaps random people on the streets of Cleveland.

Comment

I use any sort of "micro-fiber" cloths. I read on ed roman's website, his little story about how brand new so called "polishing cloths" were placing scratches on the new guitars on the floor and how changing to micro-fiber solved that problem. since then, I've used only micro-fiber cloths. no need of any polish either. After every play, I just wipe my guitars down with the cloth and they are as good as new with shine.
      Sam

Comment

Originally posted by emperor_black View Post
        I use any sort of "micro-fiber" cloths. I read on ed roman's website, his little story about how brand new so called "polishing cloths" were placing scratches on the new guitars on the floor and how changing to micro-fiber solved that problem. since then, I've used only micro-fiber cloths. no need of any polish either. After every play, I just wipe my guitars down with the cloth and they are as good as new with shine.

+1 I also use a little shot of the Fender Meguires Mist stuff for cleanup. I get the cloths at the auto parts store since I practically live in those places
        Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Originally posted by Bengal65 View Post
          +1 I also use a little shot of the Fender Meguires Mist stuff for cleanup. I get the cloths at the auto parts store since I practically live in those places
          Ive used that Fender micro mist...from day one on my HRF, and i still
          have micro swirly scratches! That mist isnt doing anything for me?

Comment

Originally posted by kelly user View Post
            gibson vintage kit, their cloth has the thickness of a foam but is soft like a baby's right butt cheek
            As opposed to the baby's left butt cheek, which is like alligator skin...

I use 3M micro-polishing compound once in a while, and a bit of elbow action. It does a great job of cleaning up any fine scratches. I got my RR3 used, and it had some swirling in the black when I got it. After I use the 3M, I use Turtle Wax and buff it with clean, soft cotton. I have an old lady that generates tons of rags, and she leaves bags of them outside my garage all of the time (from where she gets them all, I have no idea. She lives alone...).

The micro-fiber cloths work well between waxing, and I have tons of those as I use them on my motorcycle and car. So I set ten aside just for my guitars. Whatever you do, do not use a rag that has been used for cleaning any grimy surface, even if you wash it. It will still have bits of hard material dispersed thoughout the cloth, and you will scratch up your finish.

Just what I do, and it seems to work fine for me anyway!

Comment

Originally posted by emperor_black View Post
              This might have come from Ed Roman but it is actually quite true

Comment

Thanks for that. I'll go find some.
                Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

I agree, mine work fine too..

Comment

I just use a micro fibre cloth. They sell them everywhere and they seem to do a good job. I used to use a polish every now and then but I lost the bottle and haven't gotten more yet.

Comment

Cloth baby diapers... brand new one of course. Believe it or not they still sell them. Lint free and non-abrasive.
                      Guitars:
                      '04 Jackson SL1 - Flametop Cabo Blue Trans Burst
                      '94 Charvel Predator - Fire Crackle
                      '77 Ibanez LP Custom Copy - Black
                      Amp:
                      VOX AD30VT

Comment

I use the micro cloths. Just remember that whatever you use, don't use it forever. It WILL scratch the surface if used too long.
                        Last edited by z1n; 03-25-2007, 11:37 AM.

Comment

Micro-fiber!
                          Cold Hollow Machinery

Comment

i just buy a few yards of plain flannel cloth at the fabric store and cut a piece off as i need it. you get years of polishing cloths for about 6 bucks this way.
                            I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Would a tartan flannel work as well?
                              Look Up...Get Up...And Never EVER Give Up...

Comment

Working...
                              X