Changing the bridge and its position on body

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing the bridge and its position on body

I didn't want to junk into the Schaller topic which regards just Schaller and its prices, so I'm opening a new thread.

I know that frets should have the exact distances between every two frets but I'm wondering if also the distance of the bridge matters.
    I'm not that lame that I would put the bridge in front of the pickups or smth, alright... I just want to know if there's not necessary to put the bridge on the exact and special place.

For example: there's some cheap bridge on this bass right now but I don't think that holes will fit. Maybe I'd have to drill new ones. So I have to adjust and align it very carefully, right? It has to be straight to the neck or something? Well all I am asking is if it is necessary for this new bridge to have the exact distance from, e.g. the 12th fret (I don't know from which fret or other object the distance, if there should be any, is measured) like the old one had? Where do you set that distance on bridge? Does it (bridge) have a special point for that? Is it wrong to put it for example a 1/4 of inch closer to the bridge?

Hope you understand.
    Thanks!

Re: Changing the bridge and its position on body

As long as the saddles can be adjusted to be in the correct place (sideways or forward/back) you can put the bridge anywhere near where the original bridge was (say if the old bridge's mounting screws or holes were bad, you could put the new bridge 1/2" further back or closer to the neck, as long as the saddles could move that much to maintain intonation).

Newc
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Working...
    X