Cracked neck repair question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cracked neck repair question

Got a USA neck that appears to be converted from a JT6 locking nut to a Floyd. Apparently, it weakened the neck enough to crack around the holes. (and wasn't very well done IMO)
    So, the question is... would it be worthwhile to have it repaired and changed back to the JT6 nut or repaired and left as the Floyd?

Re: Cracked neck repair question

That is kinda F**ked up. If you feel confident about your luthiery skills, you can try to glue it up, or else i would have it done by a pro. I don't know what the labor cost might be, but a new neck might be cheaper.

Comment

My lutherie skills are minimal, so it would have to be a pro repair. The guitar is #3617 in the gallery, so it would be a shame not to bring it back to its former glory LOL. (its functional as is, but who knows when the neck will give way)

Could be GMW to the rescue? Or... a maple board USA neck would look sweet.

Comment

i had a SD charvel with a similar crack, it was repaired by just shooting glue in with a needle & held for years. if you put pressure on it does the crack open up at all. jackson necks do show up on ebay now & then so you could find one if U really wanted to replace it.

Comment

Originally posted by j2379:
          ... it was repaired by just shooting glue in with a needle & held for years.
          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">How many years? [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img]

Newc
          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I'd have to apply a significant amount of pressure for the crack to open enough to be glued. Depending on the cost of the repair, I may end up just using it until a replacement can be found.

Comment

Laugh all you want about the glue, then remember that the headstock on most every Jackson is glued on anyway (SCARF JOINT).

A properly repaired crack like that will last for as long as the guitar does. Cracks like that are pretty common with those through-neck bolts. If it can be pulled open, it will be easy enough to shoot some glue in there and it will be good as new.

Comment

Working...
              X