Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new EMG configuration - WOW!

hey fellas,

I just finished a two hour maintenance session on my basswood Ibanez RG(you know I'm waiting for my Jackson [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] ), cleaning the frets and fretboard, replacing the battery for my 81/85 set and also...I moved the 85 to the bridge!

I've had my EMG's for approx. 6 months now, and I liked the 85 as a lead pickup in the neck, but I thought it was just a tad too warm...didn't have enough mids. On the other hand, I liked it for being so "alive" (in lack of a better term...if you have heard one you will understand what I mean) compared to the 81.

I connected it to my POD v2.0 and played around with my various amp models, and the last one I tried was the default at bank 1A called "big rectifier", and I tweaked it like this: drive 10, bass 5, mid 10, treb 10, reverb 3, compressor 6/7, chan level 10, output level 7....
    WOW the tones I'm getting are great!!

So here's what I have now discovered, having played only 20 minutes (trying not to wake up my neighbor [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] ):

* The 81 is superior to the 85 as a lead pickup for the neck position. Very nice tonal balance for soloing. If you want it a little warmer, just ease off the tone control.

* The 85 with its "alive" characteristic and "more bass/less mid" than the 81 makes it TERRIFIC for use as a bridge pup! By turning the amp eq mids to 10 you will compensate and make it have mids reminiscent of the 81, but overall much better sounding!

I spend a good deal of time reading/posting/searching threads here, and someone said in one of the many past EMG threads that using the 85 in the bridge gives a Megadeth sound - whoever said that, nailed it!

So unless you're REALLY into the "justice..." sound, and would rather like a GREAT overall metal/rock sound, then I strongly suggest using 85 in the bridge and for the neck I recommend 81 whatever your choice is! (or an 89 with the coil tap) - just remember, my RG is made out of basswood/maple so your mileage may vary with other wood types. (EMG's seem pretty consistent regardless of wood types though...)

I'm gonna have some mp3's up in a few days to back up my statements here!! [img]graemlins/band.gif[/img]

- Rune. [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Re: new EMG configuration - WOW!

Yep, I think the 85 in the bridge is also better, with either an 81 or 60 in the neck!! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
    It's always made more sense to me to have the brighter pickup in the neck and the warmer/darker pickup in the bridge. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Yes!! Another guitarist converted from the old "The EMG-81 Must Go In The Bridge Or Else" rule! I really should swap out the EMG-81 in my RG's bridge for an EMG-85, but the EMG-81 came with the set I bought. I may be looking to trade later though.

Welcome to the dark side!!! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

I agree as well. With the 85 as a bridge pickup, you get more of a classic metal humbucker sound.

Comment

Same thing goes with passives too.Try a Dimarzio sd in the neck and tone zone in the bridge or whatever bridge pickup you prefer. A super D in the neck is quite pleasing tonaly, lots of mids. [img]graemlins/band.gif[/img]
          Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Yep, I prefer the 85 in the Bridge also, I don`t use neck pickups [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] Jack.

Comment

I don't use neck pickups either. [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] In fact, I'm 1/2 thinking of getting a sustainer put in the neck position to make some use of it.

I had my EMGs installed at a shop, so I didn't see the connections, but don't EMG pickups have some kind of snap together connectors now, so you don't have to solder/desolder them to switch them? I have been planning to give this a try on my EMG 81/85-equipped SL4 the next time I change strings, and it's gettin' to be about that time.

Comment

The newer EMGs have the Quick Clips on them, a very nice addition I must say. My 1993s have the Solder connectors though. Jack.

Comment

Alright, to keep my word about the "85-in-the bridge" soundclip, I have posted it here.

I should've recorded one with 81 for comparison, but I can assure you I never got this kind of tone with it sitting in the bridge!!

- Rune.

Comment

hmmm....I have been meaning to try an 85 in the bridge instead on an 81. How does the 85 in the bridge work for leads? Because we all know that the 81 is a awsome pickup for lead.

Comment

For my solos, the EMG-85 in the bridge sounds thick, juicy, and cutting. But then again, that's MY preference and setup. I love the fat classic sound of the EMG-85 into the fat classic sound of my Marshall. I have no idea how it will handle under supreme high gain situations though, since that's not in my tonal envelope. Just know that the EMG-85 in the bridge works VERY WELL for me for my situation. [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Comment

Yep, another "85 in the bridge" convert here. It just seems to have a bigger overall sound yet still sits very well in the mix. I have a 60 in the neck and I'm very happy with this configuration.

Anyone have experience with the 60A?

Comment

I finally got around to swapping my EMG 81 & 85, and I agree, the 85 kicks hard in the bridge position! The 81 was great, but the 85 is meatier and tougher sounding. Kinda reminded me of the guitar tone in the beginning of the Pantera song "I'll Cast a Shadow," which is a tone I've always loved. (And yeah, I know Dime doesn't use EMGs, etc. Nonetheless, that's kind of what it's sounding like to me). I like it! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Hey quiksilver, good on ya man! Now that you mention it, I can definitely see where you're coming from on that comparison to Dime's sound! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] also, notice how the 81 is better suited in the neck pos.

Now let's recruit some more axe-slingers to our army (85 bridge division) and take over the WORLD!! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

- Rune.

Comment

I definitely agree with the 85 in bridge, been using it that way for years. The 81 in bridge is even worse with a maple fingerboard, as it's just too over the top bright.

Too bad everyone voted in using an 81 in the special 'limited DK2' (with maple board) guitar some of us are getting (see Import Jackson section)! Well at least I have an 85 at home so I can swap it out whenever the guitar arrives.

Comment

Working...
                              X