Tru oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tru oil

Ok' so I tried my luck at sanding and Tru oiling a small blem on a neck. It turned out a little on the tacky and shiney side. I have not steel wooled it yet. it has been drying for about 12hrs.What should I use to remove the shine and slight tacky feeling?I want to get it as slick and dull as the rest of the neck?

simply steel wool it with 00000 .

but the more tru-oil you apply the shinier the final finish will look before sanding etc.

depending on how many coats you've applied... if doing the whole neck, sounds like youre trying to do too much too fast...
    on a maple neck you really shouldnt need more than 2 coats of tru oil, though if youre anal like me and dont want it too wear or burn through allowing the fingerboard to get filthy & look like sh!t...
    3 works great and holds up for a long time....
    hopefully you are not brushing it on and simply using a lint free tiny cloth as they suggest.

this is more than a one day process... tru oil is linseed oil based.
    oils dont dry that fast.... watco can take a week in between coats when building multiple coats unless you add jap dryer or naptha into it...[which is not recommended]
    watco works good for some things... restos etc... but not my main choice as it doesnt hold up or build a true finish.

for tru-oil I do this.. and it does work...

1st coat.... let dry a day, then steel wool , wipe off any wool dust, and recoat.
    let sit 2 days then steel wool again wiping off the wool dust...
    after the 3rd coat, let sit 3-4 days and that finish should be very hard...

you can then lightly wet sand with 1000 grit [dont burn through]
    or simply steel wool which is what I normally do...
    Last edited by peedenmark7; 03-21-2007, 09:05 AM. Reason: added info

Comment

Working...
    X