Stomp Boxes and Effect Loops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stomp Boxes and Effect Loops

I know that 95% of players usually put the wah in front of the amp, but is it somewhat common to put stuff like flange, delay, chorus etc. in front also?

I recently went back to stomp boxes and I tried everything in front at first just to get a quick set up, but then when I went to put stuff through the loop, I thought it was to much, or to thick.

I there an advantage either way or just personal taste?

Most of the time, time based effects like flange, delay and chorus sound better in the effects loop. If run this way, you have them after the preamp and before the power amp. But...keep in mind that amps are going to differ, so you need to run them where they sound best in your set up. If they sound better in front, then put them there. It doesn't matter what you see everyone else doing.

Comment

Well, yeah, I know it doesn't matter what other people do, but I'm asking more along the lines of me forgetting something.

Comment

If you use your amp's distortion for heavy/rock sounds, of course you'd want to put delay, flanger, etc. in the loop and not in front of the preamp!!

The wah however, can act as a good tone filter to boost the mids before the preamp, giving a "choppy" picking definition that's great for riffs with lots of palm muting & such.

Anyway, just my $0.02...
        "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]
        The truth will seem utterly preposterous, and its speaker, a raving lunatic."

Comment

.02 appreciated.

Comment

Working...
          X