X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kalher Removal & add a Floyd

Has anyone done it?
    How much finish work is requied?
    I picked up a real nice SD strat body but it has the top mount Kalher and I only like Floyd Rose guitars.
    Pros & Cons people?

Re: Kalher Removal & add a Floyd

haven't done it yet, but it's a fair amount of work: gott fill the hole from the kahler, rout the floyd, then if you want to do a nice job, you veneer the top, and repaint it.

you'll probably spend almost as much as the guitar to have that done.

sully
    Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
    Sully Guitars on Facebook
    Sully Guitars on Google+
    Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Re: Kalher Removal & add a Floyd

Originally posted by Krash D Party:
      Has anyone done it?
      How much finish work is requied?
      I picked up a real nice SD strat body but it has the top mount Kalher and I only like Floyd Rose guitars.
      Pros & Cons people?
      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I'd say if the body is in that nice of shape... get an aftermarket Warmoth body and have it cut from the factory for a floyd.

Otherwise, you're going to have to glue a wood insert into the kahler hole, get a template from stew mac for the routing (you have a router, right?) and then rout out for the floyd. If you refin the guitar, you'll eventually see lines where the kahler hole was, unless you put a veneer over the top of the guitar. To do that right would involve shaving the top of the guitar the same amount of the veneer.

To have it done professionally and 'right' will probably cost you nearly as much as an aftermarket warmoth body painted.

Just my opinion.

Pete

Comment

Re: Kalher Removal &amp; add a Floyd

If it IS in fact a real nice ORIGINAL SD strat body then don't cut it up. Either put a Kahler on it (and they don't suck) or sell it to somebody who would appreciate it and then do what Pete said.
        My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

I was weary of the Kahler until I got my model 4, and he's right-they aren't bad at all. YOu can't really do the mega divebombs and stuff like a FLoyd, but they stay in tune very well with "normal" use. It would be a shame to hack up that body.

Comment

Thanks guys, I agree Kalher's don't suck, I just don't like them.
            This is a real nice SD body so I'll most likely sell it, or trade it for one I will use.

Comment

Here it is.....(If I can get pics to work)

Comment

Krash,that's an original San Dimas Charvel body,Please don't modify it,please,sell it to someone that will keep it & restore it to original,there weren't that many to begin with,so we need to hold onto all that are left!! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Chucksplatter

Comment

Qiuck....somebody make me an offer I can't refuse!
                  It is serial # 5454 (I have the plate too)
                  I prefer to trade for something I will use.

Comment

Looking for anything in particular bro?? [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Chucksplatter

Comment

A body about the same condition that will use a Floyd, Cool necks (no pointys please), SD plates, crown tuners...you get the Idea
                      I really want a Hot-Rod Flame Strat witt at Floyd.
                      (I'm sure I'm the ONLY guy that wants one)
                      That's what I'm working toward, and I'd like it to be a parts guitar. Or if I come up with enough cash, I can get GMW to whip me one up.

Comment

It's too nice for ya Krash??? [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                        I sold that to Krash recently. And I agree...don't hack it up. It's in pretty good shape. I had a Kahler 3310 on it for a while.

Comment

it's way to nice to cutt up......

Comment

OK I put it back together.
                            Now who wants it? Jackson strathead neck on it now.Looks & plays great!

[img]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0SgDZAjEVlfoPHbBkp7pESxJHTWfglp1eNE15IWPb0ehxiqblN elBEQrUgIqYszUeUy7uKQ0JQhS27*noASy9*Kyh!Q6AXuOS1B7 5IjMtwrPDq2YFoiGoXg/#2-red-SD5454.jpg?dc=4675455466863504742[/img]

Comment

Was there originally a Charvel brass traditional style trem on that beasty?
                              If so the conversion to a Floyd would be less extensive and costly due to the majority of the routing is done for you. Just fill the kahler hole and repaint. Although it is extremly clean.
                              I wouldn't do to much to it. If anything at all.
                              Gil

Comment

Working...
                              X