Strat hardware

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strat hardware

I'm looking at purchasing an early 90's mexican strat. Something I can just mess with. I don't want to keep the stock pickups, so what do you recommend would be a good pickup(s) to replace them with? It'll all be single coils.

Just curious.
    Occupation: Department Director for the Department of Redundancy Department

Kinman's! Man, this is an open question. The sky's the limit. What type of music do you want to play with the guitar? There are so many choices!
    Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

i'm in the middle of a strat build myself...
      alot of people have been talking about gfs pickups as a low cost, good sounding set of pickups.
      anyone try these?

Comment

Fender Texas Specials! They are great! Then you will have Tex-Mex, but you can't eat it unfortunately
        Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Dunno what kind of music you play, but I have the aforementioned Strat and I use a Hotrails in the bridge and a Lil 59 in the neck. The mid pickup is stock, as I dont use it. if you play metal/hard rock, this combo is sublime.

If you play radio rock or slightly mellower, I would go with the 59 in the bridge, and maybe a slightly less output SD in the neck. I used to use the 59 in the bridge until I got the hotrails, and that even wails when you want it to, cannot go wrong with the 59 imo.
          www.myspace.com/madeaband
          www.garageband.com/artist/madea

Comment

Just being an asshole here. But I have a loaded Strat guard with Evans and one with Noiseless'. One of these days I will try them out. Seriously, go to ebay a punch up "Loaded Pickguards" And, boy, do I have the Stats to dick with.
            I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

Dimarzios.. rail types for hotter output-humbucker style.. the HM2, HM3 and virtual vintage series are all nice pickups in the stratish sounds with hum cancel features.

Fralins are nice too, but pricey.

Comment

Wal-mart.
                "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]
                The truth will seem utterly preposterous, and its speaker, a raving lunatic."

Comment

Lots of input since I left yesterday. Thanks all.

I tend to stick to more a bluesy deeper sound. Not so much metal. I was looking at the noiseless. I have a Lonestar with some texas specials/ Pearly Gates in them and they do sound great.

I like the sound of single coils though and I have a G&L that gives me a wide diversity of sounds......I like that..... . I may look in that area too.
                  Occupation: Department Director for the Department of Redundancy Department

Comment

Originally posted by donf View Post
                    I tend to stick to more a bluesy deeper sound. Not so much metal.
                    You might like the Dimarzio Virtual Vintage Blues, then. I've got them in a couple of my Charvels, and they're great. Nice SVR quality to them, IMHO. The other VV models are great, too.

If you want something hotter for the bridge position, I've got one with a Fast Track2. Nice and hot rail PU in a SC size.

Comment

Working...
                    X