strap pin location on a kelly bolt-on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• strap pin location on a kelly bolt-on

has anyone hear tried both positions: into the neck plate directly between the front two screws, and in front of the neck plate in front of the neck itself. which one would you say works better for keeping the guitar balanced? i know this has been discussed before but the search function doesn't work.
    Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

This thread started out discussing moving strap pin on Warrior, but info and ideas for the Kelly are discussed also. The two options you mention are mentioned, check it out:
    http://www.jcfonline.com/forums/show...elly+strap+pin

Comment

my colleague has failed to bring me his screwdriver set so i'm gonna get a shop to do it. whether the pin goes into the neck plate or paralel with the neck is as yet undecided. i certainly don't want cracks in the paint.
      Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

> into the neck plate directly between the front two screws

That's the best way to do it imo.

> in front of the neck plate in front of the neck itself.

Um, that would kinda get in the way of your playing, don't you think?
        "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]
        The truth will seem utterly preposterous, and its speaker, a raving lunatic."

Comment

unless you grip the neck like bat, it doesn't at all.......
          "slappy, slappy" bill sings, happily, as he dick slaps random people on the streets of Cleveland.

Comment

I say, leave one end of the strap at the usual neck position and for the other, drill a hole along the top edge (about half way between the back plate and the right hand end tip of the body), stick the pin there and place the other end of the strap there.
            Before you do this (drilling), you can use a tape to attach that end of the strap along the curve (whilst leaving the other end of the strap at the usual neck pin) to see if you're happy with it and find the spot.

If you use any position on the back plate, the 2 starp ends will be too close to each other (one at the usual neck position and the other at the back plate) and although this will make the guitar balanced, you'll have other problems: 1) the strap will be wrapped around your waist too much.
            2) the guitar will swing with slightest touches (like you see in that ZZTOP video), so you need to keep the 2 pin positions more apart.

Comment

I moved mine to the traditional location right in the middle of the top cut off horn which is right wear a standard strat top button is located. It works great and the balance is perfect. I had no luck with the strap button in its stock location or anywhere near it. In the stock location the guitar would lean forward with the neck tilted out.

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
                I moved mine to the traditional location right in the middle of the top cut off horn which is right wear a standard strat top button is located. It works great and the balance is perfect. I had no luck with the strap button in its stock location or anywhere near it. In the stock location the guitar would lean forward with the neck tilted out.
                Yes that's what I was trying to say as well. I've tried that with a tape but haven't got around drilling a hole yet.
                But can you tell me of it's whereabouts more accurately?
                I mean, tell me how many centimeters it is away from the tip.
                Also whether you feel you've got the optimum result or perhaps an inch to it's right or left would have been even better.
                Thanks

Comment

Finally got round to it. The tech recommended through the neck plate as he claimed putting it as shown in that photo on the red Kelly would prove difficult. Mine's now centred between the two front neckplate screws. Not even the slightest bit of neckdive now.
                  Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

Comment

what kind of tech did you go to. all you have to do is figure out the middle more or less so you don't hit the neck screws. put the screw there, give it a good whack, to start it. and screw away. 2 min and 45 seconds. if you take you time.

its going to be hard to sell that kelly with a hole in the plate.
                    "slappy, slappy" bill sings, happily, as he dick slaps random people on the streets of Cleveland.

Comment

TBH, I don't think it would've made any difference where I put the strap button. Any mod like this instantly devalues a guitar. I intend to keep this KE3 anyway.
                      Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

Comment

Originally posted by wilkinsi View Post
                        Finally got round to it. The tech recommended through the neck plate as he claimed putting it as shown in that photo on the red Kelly would prove difficult. Mine's now centred between the two front neckplate screws. Not even the slightest bit of neckdive now.

Yea but doesn't the neck still tilt away from you?

Comment

a slight up-tilt but not away from me. that's why i'm so happy.
                          Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

Comment

Uh... it's happening.. bollox. WTF didn't I notice earlier? Ah yes, I'm British.
                            Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

Comment

Working...
                            X