Transparent WHITE guitar finishes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transparent WHITE guitar finishes?

I've just thought about this... has anybody ever heard of transparent white guitar finishes? Any pics to show it? I've seen almost every trans color imaginable, but white is one that I've never seen as a trans finish. Same with grey.

Re: Transparent WHITE guitar finishes?

Jackson did a trans white on the JRS1 or JRS2 over a swamp ash body. Carvin offers it now over swamp ash, too.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

The C5-A bass had that finish. Never saw one in person but it looks ok in the pics.

Newc
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

From the Jackson Website. I like it! [img]graemlins/drool2.gif[/img]

Comment

I just realized that I've seen that before... I think I should have specified transparent white flame/figured tops. Thanks for the picture though!

Comment

I love trans white finished wood. I think the reason you don't see it very often is because most trans finishes are acheived by using stain/dye as opposed to paint, and I have never seen a white stain or dye before. I think the finish is achieved by rubbing white paint into the wood, which doesn't produce the highly definable grain you're used to seeing on trans finishes.

I'm no expert on finishing techniques, so I could be wrong.

- E.
            Good Lord! The rod up that man's butt must have a rod up its butt!

Comment

Originally posted by AlexL:
              I think the finish is achieved by rubbing white paint into the wood, which doesn't produce the highly definable grain you're used to seeing on trans finishes.
              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">All trans finishes show the grain through it, white is no exception. Trans white is mostly done on swamp ash, or sometimes alder with more of a grain pattern. If the pic above is actually trans white, it's a bad pic and you can't see the grain.
              I'm not sure if it can actually be done on a quilted or maple top or not.
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I know it's all a matter of opinion but I don't like the trans-white finish. It looks like someone just got the sealer on and ran out of time to finish it. "Oh well, lets just clear coat it and call it done.....fuck it!"
                JMHO
                My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

that finish is not really anything new; i beleive the (what i call) "whitewashed ash" is somethin that fender has been doing for a long long time. i seem to recall seeing tortoise shell guards as the complimenting color... jim shine will know way more about this, tho. i do think it's groovy, though.

sully
                  Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                  Sully Guitars on Facebook
                  Sully Guitars on Google+
                  Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

I'd like to see the "PRS trick" (finish a maple top black, then sand it off so the grain gets darker, then put a trans finish over it) done to a trans white guitar. I think it would look awesome...

Mike
                    Division - American Metal that doesn't suck. Much. Even on Facebook.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam:
                      </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by AlexL:
                      I think the finish is achieved by rubbing white paint into the wood, which doesn't produce the highly definable grain you're used to seeing on trans finishes.
                      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">All trans finishes show the grain through it, white is no exception. Trans white is mostly done on swamp ash, or sometimes alder with more of a grain pattern. If the pic above is actually trans white, it's a bad pic and you can't see the grain.
                      I'm not sure if it can actually be done on a quilted or maple top or not.
                      </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I didn't say you couldn't see the grain; I said it wasn't as highly defined as other finishes.

I'm not trying to be a jerk, just clarifying my point. [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

- E.
                      Good Lord! The rod up that man's butt must have a rod up its butt!

Comment

Originally posted by Michael:
                        I'd like to see the "PRS trick" (finish a maple top black, then sand it off so the grain gets darker, then put a trans finish over it) done to a trans white guitar. I think it would look awesome...

Mike
                        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">...and then burst it to a metallic light blue on the edges... ...mmm...

Comment

Working...
                        X