EMGs in a SLATQH

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EMGs in a SLATQH

Has anyone tried EMG 81/85 in an SLATQH yet? How's the tone with the mahogany body?

Re: EMGs in a SLATQH

I have that combo in mine and it is amazing. Nice warm tone and sustain for days! Go for it.

Comment

Good question. Isn't the body material less important when using active pickups?

Comment

Originally posted by quiksilver:
        Good question. Isn't the body material less important when using active pickups?
        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Why should it be?

Comment

I don't know if it's true or not, but I thought the active pickup's more sophisticated method of generating a signal from the strings would compensate for variations in the wood - to a greater degree than a passive pickup, anyway. This could be good or bad, depending on how much of the wood's variations, which help create its tone, you want to come through.

I think this is what detractors mean when they describe active pickups as sounding more sterile than passive pickups.

Personally, I love EMGs. I'm particularly interested in this topic because I'm planning to order a custom shop Jackson with an EMG, and I'm wondering if it would be worth it, tone-wise, for me to pay extra for a mahogany body.

Comment

Wood makes a difference in every guitar. EMGs in a mahogany body sound darker than they would in one made of alder, poplar, swamp ash or whatever. I've got a chrome 81 set in my set-neck,rosewood board, mahogany body/neck Hamer (it's also got a 3/8" maple top), and it definitely sounds darker/warmer than on the bolt-on alder Dinky with maple neck/rosewood board I had with the 81b/85n. It also sounds darker than the poplar Dinky I still have with 85b/60n. EMGs are just more consistent in sound from guitar to guitar, but still the wood does factor in.
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Thanks for the info! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
              X