Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recording the BASS

Hi

I've been recording the bass in my band using the same method as I record my guitars, that is, an SM57 2 inches away from the center of the cone. So far the result is okay, sometimes, even great. Like, fat punchy, articulate bass.

But, sometimes I hear recordings and the bass sounds so much better than what I do, of course, I do home recording with some crappy equipment, but hey, it sounds like a "good demo". Thing is that I've read most people record bass direct.

My bassist uses an MXR Bass D.I. but he uses it for distortion and crunch. Also, his Hartke combo has a direct out. So I guess I have the "tools" to do the direct thing.

Is this the way that bass is usually recorded? I mean, direct?

I have on the other hand, an ART TubePac (mic preamp, compressor). I tried recording the bass direct WITHOUT the ART, just following this path:

Bass - MXR - Soundcard

And the tone was there, but the volume was really down, like almost inaudible. Then, I tried it this way:

Bass - Amp (direct out) - soundcard

And the tone was there but with an annoying EEEEEEEEEEE sounding feedback all along, also, very low volume.

I'm gonna try using the ART preamp.

One thing though... I only have this cables to operate:

Mic cable with the "mic" kind of jack on one side and a 1/4 inch jack on the other side, and lots of regular guitar cables.

My sound card is a Creative Soundblaster Live! 5.1 (I know I know... but I get great results so far).

The ART preamp has: mic and 1'4 inputs and outputs. So my guess will be:

Connect the bass to the MXR unit. Then connect the MXR unit to the ART using the mic cable (with the 1/4 inch jack on the other side) and then connect the ART to the soundcard using a regular guitar cable (1/4 inch) and well, using the 1/4 inch to 1/8 inch I always use since the Soundblaster only has 1/8 inputs.

Should I connect the MXR to the ART using a regular guitar cable ALSO ? I mean instead of the mic cable? That way it will all be in 1/4 format. I really dunno, I'm kinda lost here... help!

Does the bass have active electronics? If so, they usually are designed to allow you to plug directly into a recording/mixing console or other device that will transfer the signal straight into the sound card.

If not, I'd say use the ART's 1/4" in/out, not the mic in.

Set up a clean patch with the EQ tailored for the bass frequencies, and maybe a tad of Compression just to even out the string volume. If it's a 5-string, the low B will need the Compressor to boost it up to match the volume of the other strings.

Miking a bass cabinet will take more than an SM57, as the 57's range is not really suited for low bass tones, so you'll want to do it through the preamp direct.
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

your completely dumb dude............. you don't put the mic in front of the cone, only amateurs do it that way, it is off the speaker at an angle, for guitars.
      you can use a mic to record but get it away from the amp, in a small room make sure the bass sound can "fill the room". or you can run it into a mixer, then in to your sound card, so you can refine the sound and volume
      "slappy, slappy" bill sings, happily, as he dick slaps random people on the streets of Cleveland.

Comment

Most of the bass recording i've done has been direct in as well. Active pickups are definately a plus.
        ----------
        Gear Action - Washburn Dime 2ST Pro, BC Rich NT Jr. V w/EMG, Dean DFH/CFH, Dean V-Coustic, Jackson USA KV2, Peavey 5150 II, Randall 412CXM, BBE 362 Sonic maximizer, Alesis 3630 noise gate

Comment

Originally posted by kelly user View Post
          your completely dumb dude............. you don't put the mic in front of the cone, only amateurs do it that way, it is off the speaker at an angle, for guitars.
          you can use a mic to record but get it away from the amp, in a small room make sure the bass sound can "fill the room". or you can run it into a mixer, then in to your sound card, so you can refine the sound and volume
          I believe I got that dumbness by reading too much of ANDY SNEAP saying it on his forum.... bummer.

Comment

I made presets for recording bass on my Boss GT/GX units, most of them are just the compressor, EQ, and a flat-response amp with just a bit of reverb. Good results, using a bass with passive pickups.
            "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]
            The truth will seem utterly preposterous, and its speaker, a raving lunatic."

Comment

Studio Magic. EQ, compression , limiting, etc. all play a huge role in the overall sound.....

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
                Does the bass have active electronics? If so, they usually are designed to allow you to plug directly into a recording/mixing console or other device that will transfer the signal straight into the sound card.

If not, I'd say use the ART's 1/4" in/out, not the mic in.

Set up a clean patch with the EQ tailored for the bass frequencies, and maybe a tad of Compression just to even out the string volume. If it's a 5-string, the low B will need the Compressor to boost it up to match the volume of the other strings.

Miking a bass cabinet will take more than an SM57, as the 57's range is not really suited for low bass tones, so you'll want to do it through the preamp direct.
                It's an Ibanez SR 500 I think it has Bartolini's (passive) and some sort of of preamp, like EQ or something, it uses a 9v battery.

Still... if the bass has active electronics, will using the MXR and the ART do any damage or make it sound bad?

Comment

Originally posted by LEOKV2 View Post
                  I believe I got that dumbness by reading too much of ANDY SNEAP saying it on his forum.... bummer.
                  bummer............... especially because i have a sound tech for a friend who has done sound jobs for the better part of 20 years and a few professional guitarist for friends, but hey you know they might be wrong.
                  "slappy, slappy" bill sings, happily, as he dick slaps random people on the streets of Cleveland.

Comment

not to mention the fact that i could quote a few books on this topic as well

Comment

Not to mention Andy Sneap has produced ALL of the recent albums which, to my ears, sound amazing, specially for metal. I kinda like his method, works for him doing Arch Enemy, Exodus, Kreator... etc.

I guess different techniques for different artists/sounds/taste, etc, not a matter to call me DUMB or to try and "noob" me.

Peace...

Comment

Ok. Get a DI box preferably a tubed one.A non tubed DI is ok. DI the Bass and if you want to mic the cab you can use a 57 but I would get another mic to go with it... You can get large cap condenser mic or a AKG D112 kick mic for the lows. Maybe get a sennheiser MD421 if your really loaded with extra cash. The DI bass track can be blended with the micd track and you can get a nice tone.

When ya mix boost 2-3 k area until you find the sweet spot there.

Comment

I run my bass direct to the board going through a Sansamp PSA-1. It has all the popular bass amps modeled. For quick and dirty I go through a Rockman, Bass version. Works great.
                          Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Originally posted by kelly user View Post
                            your completely dumb dude
                            nice.
                            good grammar & punctuation too

Originally posted by LEOKV2 View Post
                            I guess different techniques for different artists/sounds/taste, etc, not a matter to call me DUMB or to try and "noob" me.
                            yea, but I've read a couple of books and know this dude who knows this dude.....
                            Last edited by VitaminG; 03-15-2007, 09:00 PM.
                            Hail yesterday

Comment

It's an MXR bass DI, and the Mic preamp/compressor I'm using has dual 12AX7's (ART TubePac). We're recording right now, sounds AMAZING!!!!!!!!! Totally different from before, now the bass sounds punchy, clean, clear, articulate, etc. Direct bass is the way! I'm a believer now.

Comment

Working...
                              X