PU Recommendations? - Bridge HB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PU Recommendations? - Bridge HB

Yeah, yeah. I know. We've gone through this subject a thousand times. But it's nearly impossible to try out numerous PU models, and decide which one is what your ear is looking for. Besides, this time the question is more defined...

I'm looking for suggestions for a bridge humbucker. It's likely going into an ash-bodied bolt-on. I'm looking for something a little different than the standard JB or SuperD. (Have enough of those already, anyway.)

As my ear continues to evolve, I seem to lean towards preferring what I would call open-voiced pickups. i.e., A lot of clarity in individual note differentiation, particularly with chords. Some people might refer to these as PUs that "breathe". Not vintage PAF-sounding but not balls-to-the-walls distortion, either. Vintage-ish in tonal clarity and openness, but with a more modern-ish distortion overdrive. ...Is my description making sense here?

Duncans or Dimarzios only, please. No EMGs! Please recommend a PU that you think meets the tone that I'm trying to describe.

Thanks. [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Re: PU Recommendations? - Bridge HB

The Dimarzio Steve's Special might be a good try for what you're looking for. I'm thinking about trying it myself. It's the bridge pickup John Petrucci uses.

Comment

Dimarzio PAF Pro.
      It's the only HB I will use. It works well in both positions.

Comment

PAF Pro, Norton or Air Norton.

Comment

APC persueder,
          dimarzio super 3 distortion,

you really need to check out apc pickups.

www.adderplus.com
          Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

DiMarzio - Norton, Super Distortion or PAF Pro.
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

The PAF Pro is a very open sounding pickup and sounds exactly like what you are describing you are looking for. The Norton and the Air Norton are like overwound versions (hotter) of the PAF Pro. The Gibson Dirty Fingers hums would probably do it too. The pickups that most closely sound like what you are looking for come from an unlikely place.
              Epiphone covered humbuckers. The trick is to take the covers off and then pot them. Killer.

Comment

Hi, I've just built my own custom made p-ups called the "HELLCHILD"TM. I have at the moment built them specifically for my own custom made guitars but I could offer them as a replacement part if anyone is interested. My friend recorded some sounds so you have the jist ofwhat this pick-up is capable of doing and I must say they sound incredible. Here are some links the first is the lead solo with aFerrite magnet and the others are with differnt mags so you can hear the tonal variations of this. My fav is the Ferrite and the A2. Enjoy and post feedback as it all helps.
                http://www.sacredserpent.com/Web/Pag...ickupsolo.html
                http://www.sacredserpent.com/Web/Pag...upMagTest.html
                Kammo1. [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

APC Persuader Lead Custom. Have one in my SL2H, absolutely love it.
                  "You are so stupid that I am surprised you have not collapsed into a singularity of stupidity." - Anon

Comment

kammo, i'm getting a 404 error on your websites...

Comment

Thanks guys. I may try the PAF Pro or Norton. [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

the dimarzios that i've tried (paf and super dist) have been too brittle for my tastes. my favorite remains to be the duncan customs, custom customs, and custom 5s; i believe they're rated just under a jb for gain, but i've found that when you have a bit less output, you get a bit more clarity and openness. my disclaimer on that is that i really don't notice a drop in output between a custom and a distortion, just more...clarity.

sully
                        Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                        Sully Guitars on Facebook
                        Sully Guitars on Google+
                        Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

[img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] I was wondering if someone was going to recommend those, Sully. They seemed like the Duncans that might fit the bill but, not hearing them in person, 'ya never know. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                          X