DiMarzio 7 or EMG 7?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DiMarzio 7 or EMG 7?

Are DiMarzio 7-string pickups F-spaced, like the ones that come on the 7-string Universes? I'm sure they're spaced for the Ibenhad trem, but is the Ibenhad trem spaced the same as the OFR7?

I'm looking to replace the Duncan Distortion-7 (bridge) and Custom-7 (neck) on my Warrior with something with a bit more natural low-end for the bridge and a more lively clean for the neck, though not really "jangly" like a Jazz.

I haven't tried a Jazz-7, so I don't know how it compares to the standard Jazz. I'm finding the Custom-7 to be darker than the standard Custom in the neck. In fact, it is very weak on a clean channel compared to the Custom I had in my modded DK2 HRF.

Therefore, I'm thinking about trying a DiMarzio setup (though I've never met a 6-string DiMarzio pickup I've liked).

Bridge pickup output doesn't really have to be Distortion-class, but it has to have enough oomph that I don't need a high-gain patch in my MP-1. I thought about moving the Custom to the bridge but since it's not F-spaced, and the pickup route was aligned to put the bass poles under the strings, I'll get reduced output on the treble strings.

Doesn't EMG use bars/rails instead of poles? Thought I read that somewhere once.

I've tried adjusting the pickups, but they're as far down as they'll go and can't go higher without touching the strings. I don't have enough adjustment room to get any noticeable difference by adusting the pickups or the poles, so to get any change will require different pickups.

Anyone have any advice? I had a pair of 6-string Evos in a USA SLS - didn't care for them really, but since the Duncans sound different than 6-stringers, I'm assuming DiMarzios do as well?
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Anyone?

Evo7? 707? What?
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

Comment

Hey Matt I have had Both , I have Evo7's in my Agile 7 string & I had 707's in my RR7. I prefer the EMG just for better bite. The Evo's are nice but really made for a ^ string. I had Evo II in my Ibanez Prestige, & they smoked. I haven't switched out the Evo's in the Agile because it recuires routing the pup space , & I have 1 with a really nice emrald flame top on it. To nice to mess up for the pups. If you need a Pair of the 707's I have them I think 1 is a 707 81 also. Hope this helps.
      According To The Prophecy

Comment

Thanks. I went to EMG and DiMarzio.com and it seems that guitars have be routed specifically for the 707 because of the housing.

DiMarzio says all their 7s are F-spaced, and Duncan just has a diagram of the pole spacing, but Floyd Rose's site doesn't show 7-string saddle spacing

In the Information Age, who thought it would be so hard to get information?

Comment

I would go with the EMG last because the pickup cavities need to be routed to fit them, so don't put them in until you're absolutely certain you won't want to put something different in after.

Comment

Working...
          X