PC1 sustainer question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PC1 sustainer question

Yeah, I know, these sustainers are a popular subject for all the wrong reasons, and yes, I did a search for the info, but I couldn't find anything...

My sustainer has stopped working - I need to get some new batteries to check it out, but what does the red light in the back indicate? It 'blips' on when I put the lead in, but then goes out.

Also, did anyone save (or have a link to) that pic someone (Brooks?) did which had the controls labelled?
    Popular is not the same as good
    Rare is not the same as valuable
    Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

RJ posted this in this thread
    http://www.jcfonline.com/forums/show...t=66619&page=4

The light acknowledges that the sustainer is functioning when it comes on then goes off when the plug is inserted. I'll have to check the instructions when I get home, but if the light starts blinking the batteries are low.

(The new PC1's now come with instructions) I guess my request was honored by John Walker before he left the company?
    Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Originally posted by neilli View Post
      ... but what does the red light in the back indicate? It 'blips' on when I put the lead in, but then goes out.
      Possible short in your input jack? Are you getting output from the pickups? Or just the sustainer is out?

Comment

It's normal...
        The light only comes on for a second when the cord is first plugged in. It lets you know the sustainer unit is getting power.
        It does not stay on the whole time.
        -Rick

Comment

Thanks for the info guys - It looks like I was being a dumbass as I thought the 'uppper' switch was the on/off!

Does the sustainer work in all pickup positions? Logically it should, but just checking!

Bengal - if you could scan / take a pic of the instructions and post it, that'd be really appreciated!

Oh, and finally, is it me, or does the neck 'pickup' just sound pretty flat?

Comment

The sustainer will "work" regardless of what pickup you have selected.
            Once you activate it, the humbucker and sustainer driver override the selector switch position.
            The neck pickup is a sustainer driver first and a pickup second. So yea, it's not the greatest sounding pickup in the world. I've heard worse.
            -Rick

Comment

Originally posted by rjohnstone View Post
              Once you activate it, the humbucker and sustainer driver override the selector switch position.
              See, I didn't know that - that's why they need a damn manual!

What do the little mini-pot things on the PCB I've heard about do then?

Comment

Originally posted by neilli View Post
                Thanks for the info guys - It looks like I was being a dumbass as I thought the 'uppper' switch was the on/off!

Does the sustainer work in all pickup positions? Logically it should, but just checking!

Bengal - if you could scan / take a pic of the instructions and post it, that'd be really appreciated!

Oh, and finally, is it me, or does the neck 'pickup' just sound pretty flat?
                Yep, I'll scan the instructions and post them. They are not the best quality . (another inconsistancy ). They look like they have been around for quite sometime, but only been shipping recently with the PC1's.
                Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

I wouldn't mess with them unless you're having problems.
                  They control attack and output.
                  Tweak 'em up to much and you'll go through a set of batteries real quick.
                  Plus the sustain will become uncontrollable.
                  If you do want to play with them, use a plastic screwdriver, not metal, and mark the initial settings so you know where you started.
                  -Rick

Comment

Cool - thanks for the info

Comment

Working...
                    X