Floyd Nut Radius Compensation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Floyd Nut Radius Compensation?

Okay guys, I need you help on this one: I recently started building up a Strat, and am almost complete, except for a minor snag. I forgot about the difference between the 7-14" radius of the neck, and the, apparently, 12" radius on the import licensed Floyd R42 locking nut that I installed. My measurements for the shelf route were taken from the outer 2 strings, so THEY are fine, but I'm shallower, as you go in toward the inner strings. Any way to alter the nut radius? Dunno if you can really effectively deepen the slots on the outter strings on these things. Something I never had to worry about, before. I know I still have to shim the saddles, that's no problem.
    Interested to hear what you guys have to offer, in advice. Thanks.
    I'm not Ron!

Put it all together and try it out it may not be a problem.I woudn't file the nut maybe shim the nut or saddles.
    Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Yeah, I'm basically at that point. I can't do a final setup, until I get the nut issue worked out, and shim the saddles. I'm thinking at this point, as a compromise, that I should at least shim the nut up, shim the saddles, properly, and then see where I stand. Maybe once the bridge is set to the proper radius, the neck issue might not be so bad with a shim-out, but I'm not totally sold, since that issue lies right at the opposite end of the bridge, so I don't think the saddle shimming will buy my much, if anything. Sorry for the ramble. hehe.
      I'm not Ron!

Comment

You can go with an OFR nut, which is 10" radius. That will get you a little closer. Only problem is you'll either have to route the nut shelf deeper, or grind the back of the nut, as the OFR nut is a little taller.
        My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Thanks. After I posted, I thought about it, and figured THAT would be the most feasible route. The current nut has about a 14" radius. That's GOTTA be better than THIS one!
          I have no problem routing deeper. I have a jig assembly to do the routing job. Thanks for the input. I appreciate it.
          Last edited by Racerx2k; 03-12-2007, 02:18 PM.
          I'm not Ron!

Comment

Working...
          X