Kill switch question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kill switch question

I'm thinking of installing one on my Jackson JJP but don't know whether I should go with a two-way mini switch or a push button like Scott Ian has on some of his guitars. Which would be better and more reliable? And how exactly does the push button version work; is it push it in once and it kills the volume, push it again and the sound comes back?
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Re: Kill switch question

Originally posted by toejam:
    And how exactly does the push button version work; is it push it in once and it kills the volume, push it again and the sound comes back?
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Not sure how it is on Scott's guitar, but it would depend on which switch you used and whether you wanted an on-off button, or if you want to use it for Randy-style machine gun effects.
    Hail yesterday

Comment

don't do either: put a push/pull pot in the guitar...it'll accomplish the same thing, yet no holes will need to be drilled.

sully
      Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
      Sully Guitars on Facebook
      Sully Guitars on Google+
      Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Im with Sully on this one, my 750XL has a kill switch that someone drilled the body to install. If I could find this person I would slap them simple for it.

Comment

When I saw the title of this thread, I expected to see a post about the Band Killswitch Engage.

Go figure. hahahah

Comment

Originally posted by VitaminG:
            </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by toejam:
            And how exactly does the push button version work; is it push it in once and it kills the volume, push it again and the sound comes back?
            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Not sure how it is on Scott's guitar, but it would depend on which switch you used and whether you wanted an on-off button, or if you want to use it for Randy-style machine gun effects. </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Yeah, the Randy-style effects is basically what I want it for. I like doing it on my Hamer with having one volume control off and just flipping the selector switch back and forth, but the JJP is only one pickup and one volume control.

Comment

Originally posted by jsullysix:
              don't do either: put a push/pull pot in the guitar...it'll accomplish the same thing, yet no holes will need to be drilled.

sully
              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I was actually thinking of putting in a push/pull for coil tapping or a concentric pot for a tone control, but maybe I'll just do the push/pull for the kill switch instead. That sounds like a better idea.

Comment

I'm strongly against drilling any additional holes, unles you are 200% sure. Otherwise, go with the push-pull pot.

Comment

teh scott ian is a 'push to break' switch, ie, you push in the switch and it cuts the signal, when you take your finger off it springs back to normal and sound resumes

David

Comment

Originally posted by The Enema:
                    teh scott ian is a 'push to break' switch, ie, you push in the switch and it cuts the signal, when you take your finger off it springs back to normal and sound resumes

David
                    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Ah, that makes sense. Good to know. Thanks!

Comment

your still not going to be able to get that "machine gun" effect with a pull to turn off Volume knob (and if you did do a knob, i hope it would be pull to turn off.) you would need a toggle switch to do it fast enough.

so i would just get used to quick volume spins for the breaks like everyone esle does. i don't think the knob thing would be worth the install.

but thats just me and i'm hard headed and biased.
                      Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

You can also find a push/push knob - I've only seen them on old Ibanez RG models (pre-Vai/JEM style) - you push it once, then push it again for the second selection. It was basically the same as a push/pull knob, but it springs back up by itself each time you push it.

The action on it might be a bit too slow to do machine-gun effects, though, so going with an added momentary button switch like Ian's might be the best way to go. You can also get a momentary toggle switch. Momentary switches only have one permanent position (on or off depending on how you wire it) and you push it to the second position to get the effect or change. It springs back to position 1 by itself.

Newc
                        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

You could also get a Tremolo effect pedal and set it to a deep sweep and fast rate.

Newc
                          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I recommend a really bad cable, or a worn out jack, then you just wiggle the plug around to make wacky noises! [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Comment

haha, the jack comment was great...

yeah I thought this thread was about Killswitch engage also... I'm leaving this party!!! (only because I know nothing that pertains to toejam's question, haha)

Comment

Working...
                              X