Humidifier, anyone use one?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Humidifier, anyone use one?

My "music" room where I have all my guitars is below ground level and prone to water intrusion during heavy rain. As a result, that room has always had a nice humidity level year 'round and been a great place to keep my guitars. Well, I got sick of ripping up wet carpets and moldy sheetrock and finally had the room waterproofed. No more water problems and apparently, no more humidity either! I picked up my Carvin DC 135 today which I haven't touched since the waterproofing and could not believe it......all the fret tangs were protruding from both edges of the fretboard. The fretboard/neck obviously shrank (shrunk?) from lack of humidity.
    My question is, does anyone have a room in their home dedicated to their guitars, do they use a room humidifier in that specific room and what setting or humidity level is the room kept at?

My whole house has guitars all over it. I don't have problems with lack of humidity here in Southeast Texas. It's usually 46-55% year round. I would imagine being up North some type of humidifier is needed to keep the humidity within a specified range. Most likely your shrinkage occured during the heating season which your almost over with. I'd use a humidifier to keep it like 45-55% or so.
    Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Originally posted by Bengal65 View Post
      I would imagine being up North some type of humidifier is needed to keep the humidity within a specified range. Most likely your shrinkage occured during the heating season which your almost over with. I'd use a humidifier to keep it like 45-55% or so.
      I have a whole house humidifier installed on my heating/AC ducting. Kicks on automatically when the heat goes on. It's obviously not doing enough, especially since this particular room has been waterproofed.
      Anyway, I ran out to Home Cheapo and bought a room humidifier. I set it for 65% for now. I'll play around with it and see what works best. Thanks.

Comment

When not being played,my axes are in their cases. We have a fairly good sized humidifier upstairs. Downstairs is pretty dry in the winter, but muggy in the summer.

Central air does it's job in the summer months. The guitars STILL remain in their cases when not in use. That was a hard habit to get in to, but I think it's better.

Comment

If you buy a humidifier, you should also buy a hygrometer that measures relative humidity and temperature.

ideal humidity for a guitar is between 37-47%

ideal temperature is 60-70

Comment

Originally posted by JZ06 View Post
            When not being played,my axes are in their cases. We have a fairly good sized humidifier upstairs. Downstairs is pretty dry in the winter, but muggy in the summer.

Central air does it's job in the summer months. The guitars STILL remain in their cases when not in use. That was a hard habit to get in to, but I think it's better.
            Well, right now my expensive Charvels and my custom jobs are all in their cases, at least until summer and the humidity returns. It is a hard habit to get in to. The room looks so much cooler with the axes displayed on their stands.

Originally posted by Niccolai View Post
            If you buy a humidifier, you should also buy a hygrometer that measures relative humidity and temperature.

ideal humidity for a guitar is between 37-47%

ideal temperature is 60-70
            I've been running the humidifier to keep the room at 60% humidity for now. (I will gradually drop it down to somewhere in the range you mentioned).The humidifier I bought has a built hygrometer of sorts. It maintains the humidity level automatically based on a setting I select. At any rate, after a little over 24 hours the situation has already improved noticeably. Necks/fretboards are "growing" back to normal size.

Comment

What is the make and model of the humidifier you got? it sounds like something i could use.

Comment

I had a whole house humidifier installed and keep a hygrometer in my guitar room. Right after the humidifier was installed, apparently I set it too high because I was cleaning one day and what I thought was dust on my windows/window frame was actually mold. I don't think the humidity ever exceeded 55%, but apparently it was too much. I now shoot for 35% to 45% and that seems to be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Niccolai View Post
                  What is the make and model of the humidifier you got? it sounds like something i could use.
                  It's a Honeywell HCM-650. Bought it at Home Depot. Only cost me $50.00.

Comment

Working...
                  X