I need Schaller trem help NOW, please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need Schaller trem help NOW, please

On this yellow Rhoads I got as a gift, it has the Schaller/Jackson trem. I was changing the strings a few niutes ago. I blocked the trem to keep it level and loosened the low E string from the tuner. Once it was slack, I used the allen wrench to loosen it at the trem. The small block that holds the string would not move backwards with the allen screw thing. I got it loose enough to remove the string but the block will not move. All it does is roll and it doesn't give me enough room to insert a new string. So I moved to the A string and tried that one. Same thing. Its like the little blocks that pinch the strings are frozen and will only roll. I haven't tried the rest of the strings because I don't want all of them off and not be able to put new strings on. That'll leave the neck without tension from the strings and I don't want the neck to warp or twist.
    Does anybody know what I can do to fix this. Is this a common problem with Schaller trems? Are the blocks supposed to have some type of spring that pushes them backwards as you loosen the allen screw that pinches the string into the trem? My other Schaller trem'd guitars have never had this problem so I have no idea what to do. Please, any help would be really appreciated.
    Tom

Re: I need Schaller trem help NOW, please

The blocks sometimes get stuck over time in Floyds. Just spray in some WD40 and it should loosen it up, try moving the blocks out with the end of a safety pin if you can't get the end of a string in there. Turn the guitar over and shake it and see if the blocks will pop out.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I pulled the saddle and block for the low E string, degreased it, etc. Tried using various small pointy things to try and move the block. The only movement it does is that the top part of the block will move, the bottom half stays where its at. There is no way to get the E and A strings in to lock them down. All I can do is use the thin, core-end of the lower strings and pinch them in. I have never had this happen before. I don't imagine the low E string will hold very long since the small end is what is pinched at the trem. Do you know where i can order replacement saddles/blocks?

Comment

http://www.stew-mac.com/
        Occupy JCF

Comment

Those little blocks get cracked from overtightening. It's quite common. They crack at the bottom and then wedge so all you can do is wobble them back and forth like you have seen. Get after them with some needlenose pliers and show 'em whats up.

Allparts has you coverd, though they seem pricey to me. Pt# BP 0114-003 is the individule blocks at $7.50 each, and Pt# BP 0114-B03 is a 50 pack at $55.

The Schaller and Floyd parts are the exact same thing.

Comment

Wow! Go Tekky's route!
            Buy a bunch, you won't regret it.

Comment

Thanks a ton. I bet that's what the prob is. When I pulled the string ends out, they were flat as a pancake and really tight. I can't tell if the blocks are cracked but they sure as heck won't come out. What the hell else is going to go wrong? Just got it and can't use it for a gig Wed. night. I give up...I do appreciate the help though. I am just very frustrated at this point.

Comment

Naw, it's just part of the game with older Schallers and Floyds. I've bought dozens and almost always have to replace the blocks. I usually just do them all as a maintinence upgrade.
                See how the hole in the block is offset to the bottom? That's where they crack, so they wedge themselves at the bottom of the saddle like the ones you have. Again, common.
                Check some local stores. You should be able to come up with a few so you can use it Wednesday.

Comment

I've never had any crack myself, just had a couple stick over the years, but they always came out. And I used to crank them pretty tight when I first started out.
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Thanks Chuck and Toe. I checked at Stew-Mac as suggested by Tekky. Great prices and a crapload of parts. I'll run to a couple local shops today and try and find some blocks. Heck, I may just buy new saddles as well in case there are burrs or things like that.
                    Tom

Comment

If you are going to buy new saddles, you may as well just buy a whole trem. The saddles are each like 15 bucks-that puts 6 of them at about 90 bucks. For a few more dollars you can just have brand spanking new Floyd!

Comment

Yeah, a new trem would be an option but for a new Floyd, I'd be looking at nearly 200 bucks. That'd put this guitar at nearly $1900 and that ain't good. mm2002, a truly class act, has sent me some blocks to replace the bad ones. Hopefully, I can get the old ones out and I'll get her strung up. This sucks. I am thankful for the advice and for people like Mark.

Comment

I usually get a seized block with every Floyd or Floyd equipped guitar I get. I have a jar of WD40 I submerge the whole saddle in overnight and try to loosen the saddle with a nail or allen wrench. Sometimes they come out after one nights soaking, but sometimes need extra time. Really stubborn ones need some heat applied. I keep a butane cigar lighter around to heat the blocks, let it cool, try moving it again, then resoak if it is still stuck. They always come out, but sometimes they require more patience than others.

For what its worth, I use the same method to loosen seized Kahler rollers and to loosen Floyd saddles that are seized at the joint (when they will not fine tune like they should).

Comment

Working...
                          X