Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Floyd Rose Problem

Ok so my friend has a BC RICH Warlock.

the problem he told me is that everytime he put strings on it, the floyd rose would rise up,(it wouldn't stay down where it should be) and the strings would snap. im guessen its the springs loose or something. im gonna open up the back right now.

what do you think it is?

Re: Floyd Rose Problem

Well, if the ass of the Floyd is up in the air, then yes, you need to tighten the springs to were the Floyd is at a level point when tuned up.

Comment

On further investigation. When you look at the 2 bolts with the gaps where the floyd rose connects.

the floyd rose is lower, and not where the 2 gaps on the bolts should be together. ( I SUCK AT EXPLAINING)

i think [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Comment

is the floyd rose supposed to be loose when there is no strings? [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Comment

I'm not sure what you meant by your second post (take a photograph and we'd help you easier), but about the Floyd being loose when all the strings are off, the answer to that is YES. The trem cavity springs are pulling on the Floyd. Attach your whammy bar and pull the Floyd back up, and then put a 9V battery or block of wood wrapped in electrical tape under the bridge to hold it level while you put on new strings.

Here's a hint for next time. Don't take off all your strings... if you start taking off three, the others will snap and you'll end up with the loose Floyd again. Change one string at a time to maintain the angle and pressure.

Comment

the floyd won't move freely, its just sticks down

Comment

Yeah, it's "stuck" down like that because there are no strings on the guitar to pull it back up. The Floyd is tug-of-war between the trem springs and the strings. You'll need to help the strings "win" the tug-of-war again, because right now, the trem springs are "winning".

Pop in your whammy bar and push it down towards the face of the guitar to lift the bridge up. While it's raised like this, put that block of wood or the battery wrapped in electrical tape between the recess-cavity and the bridge to hold it raised. Then put on your new pack of strings and tune each string up equally so that the bridge is being lifted more-or-less evenly. Eventually, all the strings should be nearly in pitch, and you can probably remove your block by then and finish tuning up. Then, if the bridge is too high like you said in the first post, tighten the two trem claw screws equally a little bit, and retune the guitar to pitch. Repeat until the bridge is level and your guitar is in pitch.

Comment

ok. the floyd is that strong w/o strings?

seems like the strings wouldn't be able to surive since the floyd is like glued to the bottom?

trying to learn as i go.

Comment

A set of 10's puts something like 120 pounds of force against the springs. It's more than you'd think. Check this page out and follow the instructions on setting up the Floyd. It should fix your problems.

http://www.eastonguitars.com/WWW/Pag...loyd_setup.htm

Comment

Originally posted by MichaelMadeja:
                    seems like the strings wouldn't be able to surive since the floyd is like glued to the bottom?
                    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I don't mean to sound like a repetitive parrot here, but that's what I keep suggesting the 9V battery or wooden block wrapped in electrical tape for... to jam under the bridge to lift it and help you so you don't go snapping strings and wasting them. Read the link that Black Mariah posted. It's extremely helpful and you will learn a lot.

Comment

thanks for the input, yes i understand the putting the battery part. but, you know when you take the battery off, it seems like it would snap all the string?

but i guess Bm said is true

Comment

When you take out the battery/block, dive-bomb on the whammy bar a little bit and slowly release the bar. Then, resume retuning until perfect.

Comment

Do the strings snap when you do a divebomb, bend a note, or pull up on the bar? No! All that will happen is that the trem and the strings with find an equilibrium with each other. There isn't THAT MUCH tension in the springs. It takes a LOT of tension to snap strings.

Comment

I have the best luck putting all the strings on so that theuy are all slack and then statring with the high E (1st string) tune each one to pitch. Once you have done all six, go back to the beginning and tune them again. Keep doing this untill the bridge floats and all strings are in tune. Then start stretching them and re-tuning one at a time... it takes a bit, but it works.

But hey, what do I know? I'm just a tech [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Its so much easier to replace 1 string at a time tune to pitch then move on to the next string.This method eliminates string breakage,readjusting the trem claw etc.Why make it harder than it needs to be? [img]graemlins/band.gif[/img]
                              Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Working...
                              X