electronics-PU-problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• electronics-PU-problem

Is it a 3-way Gibson toggle or a blade-style?

Either way, I'd check to make sure the contact prongs are not bent too far out. The Kelly I sold to Rich had that problem when I first got it - neck pickup worked fine but the bridge pickup was not making good contact, so I swapped the sides and the neck wasn't working, so I figured it was one of the prongs not making good contact. Sure enough, all I had to do was bend it back in towards the center and it worked perfectly.

For a blade-style, it's probably got a sickle-shaped connector, but it still might be slightly bent (from being in the same position for so long, probably).
    You might also need to scrub the contacts with a piece of sandpaper or emery board (thin enough to get into the switch).

As for the wires, if it's only got three on the switch, one's ground, one's pickup, and one goes to the knob. Check the one that goes to the knob. Also, look for frayed wires that might be touching a ground or other contact point - could just be one strand. Dig around each solder joint with a pencil to see if you hit a single loose strand.

Newc
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

electronics-PU-problem

yesterday while i was playing the bridge hum of my 85-Dinky suddenly stopped working [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]
    it still has some output but almost none...the single coil works fine though...i tried some contactspray in the PUswitch but it didnt help...
    what should i look for? i opened it up but i cant find any loose wires...i dont have any experience with electronics in guitars, so help me out plz [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    maybe i could post a pic of the electronics cavity if thats helpfull

Comment

Re: electronics-PU-problem

I would check the "hot" wire that goes to the switch for a loose connection. Whenever I the problem you decribed, its nine times out of ten that. Good luck

Comment

how do i recognise the "hot" wire? i checked and there are 3 wires connected to the switch

Comment

thanks Newc!
          its a 3 way...i already checked if it's bend and i dont think it is...the strange thing is that when its in the 2nd positition i get normal output but when i switch to the bridge it just totally dies....
          i'll check the solderpoints and wires...
          could this problem be caused by the age of the guitar?

Comment

Are you getting normal output from neck AND bridge in the second position, or just neck?

Comment

well i opened her up again and gave her some attention and now shes working perfectly again... strange [img]graemlins/brow.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
              X