Got my soloist back...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got my soloist back...

Bought a soloist nearly 2 years ago from a fellow member that was in rough shape. (the soloist, not the member.) anywhoo, it was an eerie dess that was a craptacular blue and green, clear coat was flaking off, ugh. However, it sounded and played great. What was I to do?

I took it to someone to have retopped! Picked out a weird piece of maple from his stock, from a tree that had been hit by lightning and grown really strangely with all sorts of bizarre patterns. Things happened... and nearly TWO YEARS later, I have the guitar back. It still needs paint, but it has a nice 1/8-3/16" maple top on it. They shaved the soloist body down by that much and then put the cap on there, so it's not weird or anything. Also had the headstock done the same way.

Here's a pic of it with the top hit with some alcohol to bring the figure out:

And a few different colors I did real fast in photoshop for the heck of it:

I'm thinking about having a natural binding done on the edges... with the back black. Leave the neck oiled without a finish, and have the headstock color match the body. I'm also contemplating finishing the guitar in chlorine or even a natural brown finish.

Any ideas or comments or brickbats?

Pete

Re: Got my soloist back...

Originally posted by Twisteramps:
    with some alcohol to bring the figure out
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Hahaha, alcohol always brings out the best figures in people. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Chlorine is probably my fave trans finish, so I'd have to vote for that. That would look killer with that weird maple figuring! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Wow, that's a sweet piece of maple. I'd either leave it purplish like the first pic, or a natural brown. [img]graemlins/drool2.gif[/img]
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

the natural binding on Vic's custom looked sweeet, so I'd say that's a great idea.

I think a redder/browner version of that first pic, maybe a rootbeer finish would look good. Or the natural brown, as you suggested.

And rather than a black back, how about a redback?
        Hail yesterday

Comment

I like the weird crosses that you can see in the grain - If you go with a dark blue coloring, you'd have a cool-ass natural Graveyard-at-night-type graphic! [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
          "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

I just thought of something cheesy. Since that maple was struck by lightning, you can do a lightning graphic. [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by Number Of The Priest:
              I just thought of something cheesy. Since that maple was struck by lightning, you can do a lightning graphic. [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">He should do it like one of those old Ibanez guitars in "shocking pink". [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Wow, cool wood, man! I'd go with blue.

Comment

I like the last photo...trans purple...natural binding would be cool too.
                  shawnlutz.com

Comment

I sort of like the top picture, although that was not one of the choices [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Harrald

Comment

Working...
                    X