Recommendations for inlay work ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommendations for inlay work ...

I'm looking to replace dot inlays with either block or "bowtie" inlays on a guitar neck.

Can anyone tell me who would offer this type of service?

Thanks!

Look on the net. There are some because I was looking at them last year.

Not a lot of guys though.

I don't think its cheap either. Several hundred dollars most likely.
    PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

Comment

Thanks for the response ...

Unless I'm totally clueless, replacing dots with pre-cut block inlays really doesn't seem like that big of a job.

I may just have to invest in the proper tools and try it myself.

Thanks again.

Comment

there is a guy on thegearpage.net that does very nice inlay work.
        ask the moderators about the guy that did the inlay for their custom trussrod cover.

Comment

The problem is probably that inlaying is difficult to do well in small areas. A guy redoing the inlays over a whole fretboard would probably prefer to pull the frets before going ahead with the inlays. And that leaves you with costs for ia refret + fret leveling + fret dressing, in addition to the inlay job. = $$$!

And if you ask the guy to do each inlay as a separate section between the frets, he will probably charge accordingly, as it would take a lot longer.

Comment

Exactly as Sunbane said!

It isn't as easy as it looks. Although a lot easier with the frets off, as you can use templates for the routing, and much easier to level the inlays once they're glued in as well.
            Unless you have some experience in woodworking or instrument repair, you may want to leave it for the pros if you're looking for a top notch job.

Comment

You could probably ask around for price-per-inlay quotes. I think $10-15/inlay was the right ballpark when I got some done, although that was mostly replacing plastic dots with pearl/abalone with blocks at the 12th and 24th frets.
              sigpic

Comment

www.bordeauxinlay.com

www.custominlay.com

I have dealt with both and they do fine work. Bordeaux is all hand created, Custom Inlay is mostly CNC. They do stuff for Jackson.

Once you find out what Custom Inlay charges and see how Jackson marks it up...yikes.

Comment

Working...
                X