Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone try the "Hex" pickups from Guitarfetish.com?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone try the "Hex" pickups from Guitarfetish.com?

Here is the link: http://yhst-50206111187217.stores.ya...ovmepiblm.html

They *look* like Dimarzios (Super 3 or PAF Pro) but the specs don't match either. If they really were excess inventory from a guitar manufacturer, and that manufacturer happened to be Ibanez, then Dimarzio wouldn't be a bad guess, but looks don't amount to much.

It doesn't really matter to me what they are, if they're any good. Has anyone tried these pickups? I'm looking for something to put in a Jackson Stealth with an ash body. I was thinking Full Shred, but these sure would be cheaper...
    sigpic

Hum?...Did you see this:

"Now remember- these are NOT GFS PICKUPS!! So if you really are looking for great tone I strongly suggest you step up a few bucks for a set of our GFS pickups- But hey- for $30 HOW CAN YOU GO WRONG??"

I've never heard of the GFS pickups but they are well priced.

joe...
    www.godwentpunk.com
    www.myspace.com/godwentpunk

Comment

Yup, I read the whole thing through several times. I had already placed a tuner order, but went back and ordered the Hex pickups as well. A couple of people over on Harmony Central's forums had them and were happy, so I decided to give it a shot. If I can get two pickups for half the price of a new Full Shred, I'm willing to take my chances.
      sigpic

Comment

the webpage says you can use Duncan wiring instructions for these... so they are probably Duncans?

Even though the one you linked to looks very Dimarzio, they have another pickup on blowout that looks very Duncan-ish

Comment

those look like Ibanez INF or V series pickups.

Comment

Originally posted by CharvelRocker View Post
            those look like Ibanez INF or V series pickups.
            That's what I'm betting they are. Who knows, maybe they'll be junk, but the stock Jackson pickups in my Stealth are just plain dull. My past experience with stock Jacksons has usually been the opposite - too bright and fizzy - so I was surprised at how dead these sound.

It'll be a while before I get it all done, as I'm also replacing the tuners and ebonizing the fretboard, but I'll post some sort of review eventually.
            sigpic

Comment

They can't be Duncans. Duncans don't have hex poles.
              Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

the INF4 at the bridge is a really sweet pickup when paired with the INF3 at the neck. The V series pickups in the one Prestige RG (the like $750ish one) are really nice to. I'd go for it

Comment

GFS pickups aren't bad for the price. Sometimes they run deals on ebay, and start them out at $0.99. I picked up a set of FAT PAF pickups with gold covers for $15 +shipping. They're really quiet too.

Later,

Steve
                  Guitars:
                  '04 Jackson SL1 - Flametop Cabo Blue Trans Burst
                  '94 Charvel Predator - Fire Crackle
                  '77 Ibanez LP Custom Copy - Black
                  Amp:
                  VOX AD30VT

Comment

Originally posted by zeegler View Post
                    They can't be Duncans. Duncans don't have hex poles.
                    Tell the screamin demon that.
                    Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

You can also order hex poles on Duncans in their Custom Shop.
                      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I'll just shut up and stand in the corner now.
                        Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

GFS pickups are pretty good really.The little killer singles are bad ass.
                          Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

I have a guitar (Strat style) with a GFS "Distortion" HB in the bridge and 2 of their "hot" single coils and I'm pretty happy with them. The HB blows away the singles in output but it does have a sound similar to the Duncan Distortion, so I'm pretty happy with them. Especially the price ($20 for the HB and $15 for a matched set of 3 singles coils from their "blowout" section).
                            Guitars:
                            Charvel: USA Pro Mod Slime Green
                            1988 Model 2,
                            Jackson: Dinky HSS 'Blue/Orange Flame'
                            RR3
                            Gibson: 1978 Les Paul Spl Dbl Cut
                            1992 LP Studio 'Lite'
                            2005 SG Special

Comment

Originally posted by Inazone View Post
                              Here is the link: http://yhst-50206111187217.stores.ya...ovmepiblm.html

They *look* like Dimarzios (Super 3 or PAF Pro) but the specs don't match either. If they really were excess inventory from a guitar manufacturer, and that manufacturer happened to be Ibanez, then Dimarzio wouldn't be a bad guess, but looks don't amount to much.

It doesn't really matter to me what they are, if they're any good. Has anyone tried these pickups? I'm looking for something to put in a Jackson Stealth with an ash body. I was thinking Full Shred, but these sure would be cheaper...
                              I ordered a set of these last week. I should have them on Tuesday. I have also used GFS rail singles ('lil Killers or 'lil Punchers, I can't remember which) in a DK2 that I had. I really like his pickups. When I get these installed, I will post a review.
                              MakeAJazzNoiseHere: You kidding me? I'd suck her fartbox dry in a heartbeat. 9/29/2011 quote about Megan Fox

Comment

Working...
                              X