Question about using steel wool on fretboard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about using steel wool on fretboard

Ok, I just bought some Grade 0000 Steel Wool. I have an ebony fretboard on my guitar. I was wondering if there is any risk to using the steel wool instead of a toothbrush to clean the gunk of the fretboard? Like filing the wood down or making the inlays come off or something like that. Thanks

Re: Question about using steel wool on fretboard

I've used 0000 steel wool on all of my guitars for 15+ years now and can say I have seen no wearing down at all from it,matter of fact it will make your life ALOT better since you don't really need to work it very hard to get crap off of your fretboard.

Comment

feel free to use it. i'd go with the grain, though.

another cool thing is that ebony can be buffed to shine like a mutha... just ask boxcar.

sully
      Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
      Sully Guitars on Facebook
      Sully Guitars on Google+
      Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

i know thats dave mustaine but stretched out that avatar looks like my aunt...

[img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

i was also wondering if this was safe to use on ebony, i had heard it scratches it up. good to know that you can.

Comment

just cover the pickups well, you dont want any metal dust from the steel wool in your pickups

Comment

thanks for adding that important detail!!! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] slap some masking tape over those bad boys before you do any steel woolery.

sully
            Sully Guitars on Google+
            Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

ADMINS...If you care to MOVE this post to the "Lemon Oil" area - THAT is FINE BY ME !!!

Ok, I just bought some Grade 0000 Steel Wool. I have an ebony fretboard on my guitar. I was wondering if there is any risk to using the steel wool instead of a toothbrush to clean the gunk of the fretboard?
              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">UNLESS it is a DIRE EMERGENCY...and I MEAN A DIRE EMERGENCY ...

...I would NEVER, EVER, EVER, EVER EVER USE STEEL WOOL on ANY...ANY {be it ROSEWOOD, MAPLE, EBONY or WHATEVER MATERIAL} FRETBOARD !!!!!!!!!!!!! [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

...I will ALSO NEVER, EVER, EVER, EVER EVER use ALCOHOL, AMMONIA, NAPTHA or BENZINE {the main ingredient in cigarette lighter fluid}...or ANY PRODUCT that CONTAINS ALCOHOL, AMMONIA, NAPTHA or BENZINE on ANY FRETBOARD {ALL will REALLY DRY OUT THE WOOD !!!!}

Now, my SIFU {a martial-arts term for a "WISE TEACHER" or "WISE MASTER"} - Dan Lenz at www.axehaven.com here in Denver {he taught me EVERYTHING I KNOW about Lutherie} HAS DONE that I have seen him do...Is use 400 or 1000 grit wet and dry sandpaper to brighten frets - BUT - you MUST GO the DIRECTION that the STRINGS RUN {UP and DOWN}, and USE a LIGHT HAND...but THIS does NOTHING to get out the GUNK {graphite used in the string manufacture process that is mixed with skin oil and sweat, smoke and WHATEVER} that LAYS UP against EACH SIDE of the frets...

There is ABSOLUTELY NO SUBSTITUTE for a STIFF LITTLE BRUSH, LEMON OIL and ELBOW GREASE to CLEAN a fretboard, and if it takes 15 CLEANINGS and CONDITIONINGS to get it CLEAN - then SO BE IT !!!...

...An old toothbrush works GREAT {or - BETTER STILL - your ROOMMATE'S or BANDMATE'S TOOTHBRUSH [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] } - but of LATE, I have been using those little "mechanic's nail brushes" that are available at Checker, Pep Boys, etc. - that are about 1/2" x 2", and have a little "looped" handle to put your fingers through...They clean it QUICKER, and with the little handle, it's EASIER to "tilt" it than a toothbrush at an angle on BOTH SIDES of a fret to get ALL the CRAP out

...Now, in EXTREME CASES, I HAD been using a LITTLE "Murphy's Oil Soap" {about 1/2 cup mixed with 1 gallon of water} - as it is ALL-VEGETABLE, and contains NONE of the 4 NO-NO's {ALCOHOL, AMMONIA, NAPTHA or BENZINE}...BUT...PER the HEAD TECH at Ernie Ball out in San Luis Obisbo - HE said NO OIL SOAP...ONLY LEMON OIL !!!!...and ABSOLUTELY NO STEEL WOOL !!!!!

Using the brush and lemon oil, go SIDE TO SIDE {the SAME DIRECTION as the FRETS RUN}, let it SOAK IN for 10 MINUTES, and BUFF OFF with a soft cloth, and THEN go BACK with the soft cloth, and PINCH it TIGHTLY on EACH SIDE of the fret wire, and CLEAN THE CRAP outta the lemon oil on BOTH sides of the fret wire - SUPER GOOD - or THAT is where crap will start building up !!!!!

...and if you INSIST on using "STEEL WOOL" - then DON'T use REAL steel wool - Get some of that NYLON or PLASTIC SUBSTITUTE for steel wool that is made by 3-M, and get the FINEST you can get, and DON'T PUSH HARD or OVER-DO it...THAT stuff WILL SCRATCH FRETBOARDS as WELL !!!!!!

AND...WHENEVER you POLISH FRETS, EITHER DO as Sully says and TAPE the fretboard CAREFULLY, and COVER THE PICKUPS {as the little splinters of 0000 Steel Wool will go down IN the pickups because of the magnetic field, and would HAVE to be BLOWN OUT}...OR...You can get these little steel "FRET PROTECTORS" that I ALWAYS USE at www.stewmac.com - for UNDER $10.00 - SHIPPED - you get about 6 of them - and THEY are the ONLY WAY TO FLY !!!! [img]graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]

[ December 23, 2003, 10:47 PM: Message edited by: Doc Dryer ]

Comment

Sully is right..linseed oil is good stuff. The shine on an ebony fretboard after using this stuff is amazing, I would dare to say it's as reflective as a piece of wood can get by itself.

Comment

doc, i gotta respectfully disagree on the steel wool thing. i can understand the caution behind it, but it's safe to use 0000 steel wool on a board. i may not use it on maple, b/c many maple necks are lacquered.

when i clean a fretboard, i'll start with VERY GENTLY scraping the gunk with a razor blade (if it's excessive like this ), then i'll finish up with linseed oil on a 0000 steel wool pad to get this result . i then buff it out with my super secret/wicked cool technique that will make frets all shiny as detailed here.

i'm not suggesting that you go nuts with it and really work it over like a whitechapel hooker, but for a quick cleaning, it's fine. even dan erlewine uses naptha and steel wool to clean boards. the naptha/alcohol evaporates, which yes, dries the wood slightly. however, part of the process at the end is to go and condition the wood. hell, anyone who gets the dunlop guitar care kit with the 2 step fretboard cleaners are putting rubbing alcohol right on it (the step 1 bottle is mostly rubbing alcohol).

someone said here a while ago that there's a fair amount of voodoo/mojo/superstition when it comes to workin on guitars, and the fretboard cleaning topic is definitely one that has the superstitions attached to it. what person A swears by can make others scream in horror, even if person A is world renowned in their field.

there's NOTHING wrong with usin lemon oil, and an old toothbrush, it's a great "best practice", but
                  as we know, there's many things that you can use to get a job done safely. great idea on the mechanics nailbrushes, too! but then again, i'd think those bristles could be as, if not more abrasive than steel wool..?

anyway, the above is intended only in all due respect; we adopt the methods of those that teach us b/c they teach us. but we should always be mindful of other teachers as well.

sully
                  Sully Guitars on Google+
                  Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

My 2 cents:

I use steel wool on any boards but lacquered maple, and it works great for me. Just have to tape up the magnetic polepieces!

For shining frets, I also use a little chrome polish from the local auto parts store or a dry buffer, which takes about 15 seconds... and I'll also hit large inlays (like sharkfins) with meguires prewax cleaner to bring out some figure in them. Little lemon oil rubbed into the fingerboard, and I'm done. There's lots of ways to skin a cat!

Pete

Comment

thanks for all the posts guys. i covered up my pickups using a beach towel because i didnt have any masking tape. I scrubbed on my arm a little bit w/ the 0000 steel wool to make sure it wouldnt hurt my fretboard or anything. I think its alright as long as you dont scrub too hard with it

Comment

Working...
                      X