No announcement yet.

EMG 18 volt mod DIAGRAM needed please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EMG 18 volt mod DIAGRAM needed please!

Hi

I'd really like to get a nice big diagram of the EMG 18 volt mod.

I need it because I want to send the diagram to Rico for my custom vixen and I just wanna make sure it's pretty clear.

Thanks in advance!

Email EMG. It might take a couple days, but Rick will get back to you.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

If guitar builder people can't figure out how to wire two batteries in series, I'd be worried. There's nothing more to the "mod" than adding another battery in line with the first.

Comment

Have you checked up on the EMG site?

Comment

this is what you have now..
          this is how it will look after its done.
          if you need more info[you shouldnt but if you do],just ask
          my kids go without food so i can collect guitars

Comment

or you can do it the jgcable way. and not perminately re-wire the guitar.

take 3 battery connectors, solder each wire to the opposite color wire between all three of them. ex: conn. 1 red to conn. 2 black, conn. 2 red to conn. 3 black, conn. 3 red to conn. 1 black.

then clip one of the connectors to the original connector in the guitar, and attach 2 batteries. done. and easily reversable.

i personnaly don't like the the sound of the 18v config. it just sounds a bit thin to me. but i'm sloppy.
            Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Well I'm doing the 18 volt mod just because I've read here many times that it's better than the regular 9 volt setup.

I'd really like some input before I pay the advance, maybe it's not what I'm looking for, I dunno, help..?

Comment

A thought just hit me...(going off on a tangent here)...

You could pretty easilly wire a push-pull pot to turn an extra 9v battery on and off. That would be a cool mod.

I'm going to put a couple of my EMGs into my old Vantage beater, so I will have to try this out!

Push-pulls are cool...I will use one for pickup selection (Caparison-style) in my secret project guitar. You lose a little tonal versatility, but it keeps the control layout clean.

Comment

In all honesty, I dont feel the 18v really makes much of a difference. Ive got 9 and 18 in alot of my guitars, and to be honest the difference is negligible.
                  Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

Originally posted by Sunbane View Post
                    You could pretty easilly wire a push-pull pot to turn an extra 9v battery on and off. That would be a cool mod.

Push-pulls are cool...I will use one for pickup selection (Caparison-style) in my secret project guitar. You lose a little tonal versatility, but it keeps the control layout clean.
                    I like your style!

I used a push/pull to activate a PA boost (removed the switch from the board and wired it to the push/pull) Didn't want to drill another hole and plus "it's cleaner!"
                    thread with diagram http://www.jcfonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52840

As for the 18volt mod, you should try it. If not, try a boost. Both are good mods but I like the boost better.

Comment

Originally posted by Sunbane View Post
                      Push-pulls are cool...I will use one for pickup selection (Caparison-style) in my secret project guitar.
                      When did Caparison start using a push/pull pot? They use push/push.
                      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                        When did Caparison start using a push/pull pot? They use push/push.
                        My bad. You are correct sir!

Comment

Originally posted by Dreamland_Rebel View Post
                          i personnaly don't like the the sound of the 18v config. it just sounds a bit thin to me. but i'm sloppy.
                          Hmm... you really think so huh? I'm recently on the fence.

I somehow thought I noticed something like that setup being a bit harsh sounding, but I couldnt quite nail it.

My main Charvel 475 is 9 volt(emg81/pa-2 preamp) and I like it, my back up is a USA fusion, 18v (emg81 / PA-2 Preamp), and I am sorta not liking the Fusion.

The Fusion is actually a darker sounding guitar generally, but I sense something I don't like lately in it. the 18v part was sorta in my thoughts. But, it's subtle.

Gonna have to yank it out and see...

Comment

See now I switched the 85(bridge)/81(neck) setup in my Strat from 9v to 18v and I though it came alive.
                            -Rick

Comment

you'll find that beef that you didn't realize was missing.
                              Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Working...
                              X