How can I paint the "Danger" graphic?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How can I paint the "Danger" graphic?

The thread on E-Fraid of E-Bay made me think of this. How would I go about painting the "danger" graphic? I have a Model 2 I want to do this on. This picture was posted by a member here a couple of years ago:

That's what I'm talking about. I've looked over reranch.com and some similar sites, but could someone give me the Reader's Digest version?

Plus, was this once a factory paint option or a one-off custom?
    Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Which one, left or right?

The one on the right is more uniform - the triangles are all the same size. The one on the left is off (bottom triangle is too big).

You could start with either color. I'd say do the black first, mask off the design, then shoot the orange/yellow then cut and peel off the mask.
    Last edited by Newc; 03-04-2007, 09:18 PM.
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

You could probably get your local sign shop to cut you a mask on their vinyl cutter. Make sure you mention you want it for a mask, there's a big difference between regular vinyl and mask.
      |My CSG gallery|
      (CSG=AlexL=awesome)

Comment

Personally i would do the base colour of the guitar first THEN use a mask for your graphic! I have finished a guitar i have done for my nephew BUT at the moment Sean has it, he will put the bits and bobs together, but either way i always do the base colour of the guitar then work on the graphics after and i did use masks cut by hand by myself but i used frisk stuff and as it was on a few days before paint spraying it did eat into the 2 pack paint, not much but i noticed the difference, i have not altered anything as it was quite a complex design to do, hopefully you will all see it in summer! Another one off design done by ME.

Comment

Yeah, I'm thinking I can tape off the actual radiation symbol. That shouldn't be a big deal, and I should be able to find stencils for the "Danger" text.

But my real question is about the nuts and bolts of the thing. Should I totally sand the body clean, then seal and spray paint?
          Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Comment

Originally posted by PowerTube View Post
            Yeah, I'm thinking I can tape off the actual radiation symbol. That shouldn't be a big deal, and I should be able to find stencils for the "Danger" text.

But my real question is about the nuts and bolts of the thing. Should I totally sand the body clean, then seal and spray paint?

Right...it all depends what state the body is in??? i spent a year on a car body course and it really is NOT necessary to strip anything to the base at all, again it depends on the condition, you would scuff up the surface with a scotch brite pad so it provides a key for the primer...okay? so you coat 4-5 sprays of primer then prepare that ready for the finishing coat, then lastly laquer.
            If a body was real bad they you would have to go to the base but this causes more work! and you could end up with more of a preparation job than intended....small chips and dents can be filled in....anymore questions don't hesitate contacting me, have done several guitars now.

Comment

you can just glue a vinyl decal on top and clear coat the body.

Comment

Originally posted by data187 View Post
                you can just glue a vinyl decal on top and clear coat the body.
                Suppose he could, providing the vinyl is suitable with cellulose paint etc or it will shrivel up! I've never used vinyl, i have always hand painted my graphics.

Comment

Maybe you should find the person who owns it now and offer him an insane amount of money for it.

Comment

Working...
                  X