When squeal isn't from a pickup...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When squeal isn't from a pickup...?

I'm having some squealing issues with one of my Concepts (the snakeskin one), and it's gotten to the point where I can't use it for anything beyond home practice. It's the same squeal/feedback as with a microphonic pickup, but I have had the first bridge pickup potted, then replaced it with a different pickup, and the problem persists. I took it to a shop yesterday, and the guy there (not the repair tech - he doesn't work weekends) said that he has seen bad pots, improper grounding and improper shielding cause the same issues. It sounds like this is the sort of thing that could be difficult to pinpoint, and in the long run would probably involve completely replacing the electronics...except for the pickups, which are probably fine.

Does that sound like a possibility, or is this guy just trying to sell me some repair services? This isn't the same shop I normally go to, and to be honest I'm a little irritated that my "usual" guy wasn't a bit more thorough, but all signs pointed to a bad pickup the first time around. I don't want some hack ripping apart a guitar with a custom finish, but maybe it's time for a new set of eyes and ears.
    sigpic

Run the pickup straight to the jack, then add the pot.

If you've got a mini-toggle, wire it up so you can take the pot in and out of the circuit just for testing purposes.
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Inazone View Post
      I'm having some squealing issues with one of my Concepts (the snakeskin one), and it's gotten to the point where I can't use it for anything beyond home practice. It's the same squeal/feedback as with a microphonic pickup, but I have had the first bridge pickup potted, then replaced it with a different pickup, and the problem persists. I took it to a shop yesterday, and the guy there (not the repair tech - he doesn't work weekends) said that he has seen bad pots, improper grounding and improper shielding cause the same issues. It sounds like this is the sort of thing that could be difficult to pinpoint, and in the long run would probably involve completely replacing the electronics...except for the pickups, which are probably fine.

Does that sound like a possibility, or is this guy just trying to sell me some repair services? This isn't the same shop I normally go to, and to be honest I'm a little irritated that my "usual" guy wasn't a bit more thorough, but all signs pointed to a bad pickup the first time around. I don't want some hack ripping apart a guitar with a custom finish, but maybe it's time for a new set of eyes and ears.
      Any of that stuff can cause squealing. If its not the pickup it is most likely a bad pot.

Comment

I could say it but I wont
        Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by straycat View Post
          I could say it but I wont
          :ROTF:
          quit smoking..........
          "slappy, slappy" bill sings, happily, as he dick slaps random people on the streets of Cleveland.

Comment

Thanks KU for the props!
            What I was referring to was my usual reply "try an rsguitarworks pot upgrade kit".
            I'm sure DarylV will jump in and give me hell.
            Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
              Run the pickup straight to the jack, then add the pot.

If you've got a mini-toggle, wire it up so you can take the pot in and out of the circuit just for testing purposes.

+1
              Scott

Comment

Working...
              X