Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doing My Own Fretwork?

Hi All,

I live in an old house, and so whenever the seasons change, there is a lot of temperature / humidity fluctuation. As a result, quite a few of my guitars have frets that are sticking out a bit, and would hurt my left hand while playing.

I am getting tired of paying a tech to do what (I think) are simple tasks, so would it be a good idea to get a few tools from Stew Mac and file down the fretends myself? Seems like it would be a pretty simple task, but I wanted to confirm with you guys first

For this (just filing down the part of frets that are sticking out beyond the fretboard), do I want the "fret beveling tool", or "fret files"?

Stew Mac also has "Essential Fretting Tool Kit" that comes with several basic tools and a fretwork instruction book, what's people's opinion of that set? http://www.stewmac.com/cgi-bin/hazel...talog/sku.html

Eventually I want to be able to do all the work required on my electrics myself, so I think this is probably a good starting point to get more involved than doing setups... I know lots of guys here are really good DIY modders, so any advice would be greatly appreciated

- Leo.

No offense here.. its great your asking..but..if your asking which file you need for do-it-yourself fretwork.. you'll need to do some more reading on the subject. There's a website that comes complete with pics..

http://www.fretnotguitarrepair.com/default.htm

Now..for rough ends on frets hanging over the fretboard.. you'll need a bevel. Usually bevel files can be made from a store bought file.. they're typically about 6-8". The crucial thing about fret beveling is the angle, which I believe was 45 degrees to the edge making the filing even in consistancy and to not remove to much of the fret material.. especially on 'clean-up' work.

Buying one that is attached to a block for correct angle is perfectly ok too.
    If you've never done this before.. I'd recommend getting a junker 10-20 dollar neck that you can practice on for various experiments and get familiar that way.

I'm actually somewhat in the same boat.. I'm going to start performing alot of refrets in the future.
    Last edited by charvelguy; 03-04-2007, 02:31 PM.

Comment

As an add-on after re-reading your post.. consistant humidity control may be in order too. Maple necks tend to swell, shrink and shift a bit as it is during winter. Actually, I tend to really dig the Vancouver area..if there was a place I were to move.. it would probably be in that vincinity.

Comment

Thanks for the detailed reply

I know I need to read up more on the subject, and will definitely do so before doing anything to my guiars.

Vancouver is a great place to live, especially if you like outdoor stuff. I just got back from spending 9 days in New York, hated it... living in Vancouver has spoiled me

Comment

As mentioned, humidity control is #1. Does the neck/frets work fine in the summer? If so, any work done to it now will have a negative effect in the summer months.
          Vancouver gets fairly humid in the summer, and you guys have been having an unusually cold winter ( cold!! hahahaha!) and I'm guessing the humidity is a lot less now. Try humidifying the guitar first, then think about fretwork.
          Most of the tools required can be bought at any good hardware store, but since you're in Vancouver, try Lee Valley Tools. Good woodworking tools there. The fret crowning files will have to be bought from a place such as Stewmac though.
          I've done three guitars, and it's not as difficult as it sounds, but it does require time, patience, and some skill.

Comment

Working...
          X