Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Block size for a non recessed OFR tremolo routed body

Hi folks:

I have custom made mojobody strat type body routed for a non recessed original floyd rose tremolo and need to know what kind of tremolo block size I need to get, 42mm or 37 mm?

Thanks

Econ

All of my non-recessed trems have a 42mm block. You should be fine with that. Pretty sure 37mm blocks are usually used when the guitar is set up with the trem resting flat on the body (dive - only), and with no neck tilt. I think Toejam said his Charvel star came with a 37mm block, but most of the time you see 42 with a non-recessed trem.

Comment

Yeah, my Star has a 37mm block... it puts the trem closer to the body (mine was still floating when I got it, but I actually shimmed the saddles and lowered it onto the body for diving only). The 42mm would have it a little higher off the body.
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Wouldn't the thickness of the body, the depth of the rout in the back, and the claw position be a factor considering it is a custom body?

My Charvels and Jackson have 37mm blocks also.

Comment

Yes, it definitely could. Probably the safest thing to do would be to PM Denny (Slash) and ask him, since he made the body, but I'm pretty sure he's going to say 42mm if you want a full floating trem. Pretty wild that we're seeing different block sizes on our Charvels. I've had several Model Series, one toothpaste model (750XL, non-recessed Schaller) & one USA all with 42mm blocks. Plenty of clearance for the cavity covers, too. I guess the 5mm difference is small enough that the springs don't pop out if you use a 37mm block?

Comment

I should mention that my guitars have the JT590 trem, not the OFR, although I do have a Floyd Rose Pro with a 42mm block.

I wanted to put the FR Pro on my Soloist Archtop Pro, mainly because it's gold and I thought it would look great.
            But I don't have the heart or the stupidity to cut the Soloist to make the FR Pro fit properly, as it's just a hair offset and would need the rout slightly enlarged.
            I did mock it up however, and found the 42mm block too long. I guess the reason is that the trem is nearly flush with the body.
            My 650xl is non-recessed, and could probably use the 42mm block, but it would be very tight to the back cover, especially with pull ups.

Your 750xl (I will have one someday!) is a fair bit thicker than my 650 or the model 6's, so that could be why the 42mm works well in that application.

Like dg said, get the info from the maker to be sure.

Comment

Oddly enough, I just bought a trem on Evilbay cause it said it had a 42 mm block, and I'm retrofitting it to a Strat. When I finally got it, it measured 34 mm with my digital calipers. Instead of having to return the friggin thing, I fabricated a new, 42 mm block, yesterday, with a piece of stainless steel barstock I had. Actually came out pretty nice. Didn't run into any probs, until right at the end (OF COURSE!) when a 1/16" bit broke of in one of the trem spring holes, just as it was finishing the hole. DOH! Took me almost an hour to extract it (Hey, I wasn't gonna just pitch it, I spent good time on it!). It measures 8 mm, like the stock block, but has alot more heft to it. Mounted right up to the trem, beautifully. IF I had to do it, again, I'd probably grab a piece of brass barstock, but the stainless wasn't TOO hard to work with.
              I'm not Ron!

Comment

Working...
              X